Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Originally Posted by rebel
I got a Crane HI6 thats damn near 30 years old with a 3 step. Has to be the most reliable ignition box I have ever owned & it even starts the car when the battery is low. Shame they dont still make them.

iagree I have ran Crane boxes on several different projects over the years. Never a failure unlike the MSD crap. The one on my Cuda today I bought used for $100 15 years ago. I see them for sale on the 'net every once in a while. If I were still building projects, I would grab every one that came along.

The Crane boxes where very popular in Nascar and NHRA Prostock,. They even made an analog version just for Nascar because Nascar didn't want anything digital on the cars. Eventually Nascar and NHRA required a specific secured Msd box so that nobody could modify it. Wonder how much Msd had to pay Nhra and Nascar to get that rule. That was pretty much the end of Crane Ignition.

It occurs to me that Daytona Sensors looks like it could be updated Crane. Wonder if they bought out Crane Ignition and continued to develope it with new features.

I have had a New Crane system complete with their 3 step box and retard box sitting on a shelf for almost twenty years. The plan was to put it on when the chrome box failed. The chrome box never failed.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.