Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Originally Posted by Stanton
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
I'm going on a road trip - Indy, a race track, wherever. Traveling at night, sometimes through places where there isn't much more than an occasional gas station. And/or you don't want to get off the main road too far or for too long. (I'm looking at you Richmond, Columbus, Philly, et al...)

So, if I have an EV, am I supposed to plan my trip around the limitations of the car. Or find a charging station somewhere in some parking lot, in a strange town, in the middle of the night, with a car that is going to take 20 or 30 minutes to charge, and leave me a sitting duck for any of the local ghetto goblins while I'm waiting?

Why would I do that?

The next Tesla I see in a gas station along the highway, dead in the water, won't be the first.

A toy for nerds, a short trip car, little commute car, I can see that. But that's all I see. Anything else it becomes a PIA

I believe if you have a Tesla it will provide you with a route with charging stations AND it won't let you pass a charging station if it doesn't have enough juice to reach the next one. This is what my neighbor - who has three Tesla's in the family - told me.

So does the car hold a gun to your head or steer you into the station? I don't think so, it probably just makes a nuisance of itself by constantly telling you to turn around. And stubborn owners who fail to heed the warnings are probably the one's you see at the side of the road.

Musk is a pretty smart man !!

Again, why would I subject myself to that? When my beater Honda can stop at any gas station, truck stop or convenience store that can be found at most interchanges on most highways, fill the tank, take a leak, get a coffee and be on the road in 15 minutes?

I tell my car what to do. Not vice versa. I pick my route.

I have a battery powered drill. I have multiple batteries for it. When one dies, I plug in another and keep going while the dead one charges. Rinse and repeat. If I had to stop, wait 20 minutes, then get back to work, I wouldn't own it. Just sayin'

And every Amish and Mennonite on the planet have the same opinion of gas-powered vehicles.