JWB, the difference is that back then, new technology replaced the old stuff only if and when it was so far superior to the old way, and made more sense to the consumer, and stood on its own 2 feet financially, so that the consumer would voluntarily buy it. I don't think that is the case with EV's. With all the power plants being forced to shut down, they can't even keep up with basic needs. Where is all the extra juice going to come from when there is 300 million cars plugged in pulling 100 amps every night?
And there is no good reason to switch. Our petroleum infrastructure is amazingly reliable and efficient, and the modern internal combustion engine is almost magic in its reliability, safety, efficiency and cleanliness. It is incredible that in a matter of minutes we can refuel our vehicles, just about anywhere, any time, and drive 20, 30, even 50 miles for less than the cost of a can of soda.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"