Originally Posted by 67vertman
Sorry to hear about your mom, I hope she heals quickly.

POA is easy, as long as she agrees with it. As for the Revocable Trust, I recommend getting a lawyer involved or seek the advice of a Fiduciary. I have recently gone through, and am still dealing with, a trust that was sit up wrong, it a pain in the ass. You don't want to be the one filling all the documents to the appropriate companies to change the name to the Trust.

Other things to think about:
Set up a bank account in the name of the Trust, with you on it as well. If you are not on her other bank accounts, get that done ASAP.
All life insurance policies/401 K/ retirement accounts/ Etc, will need to be changed to the Trust as beneficiary (ask me how I know this) if not you are in for a long battle and lots of paper work.
Do a quick claim deed on all her properties.
Get a health directive, and file it with her doctors and hospitals and care facilities.

There are a million little other things as well.

Better include a competent CPA in this because have a trust as beneficiary of certain investment vehicles creates a huge issue. This is a multi layered issue where an attorney will say everything into the trust and an tax professional will say not so fast.

I'm dealing with annuities that had trust named as beneficiaries, tax and distribution PIA. Much better to have the individuals named if the # of people is few... Paperwork in any of the situations sucks donkey balls after the person passes.

Get a pour over will that places all personal property in the trust. Probate is a PIA as well. The trust will avoid this. Beneficiaries of accounts etc, don't generally have to deal with probate.

Last edited by crackedback; 11/25/21 06:08 PM.