PoA & a Will are just a couple of the legal docs that hopefully your mother will agree to.

Unless the laws have changed, having your mother's Power of Attorney only applies while your mother is still alive. There may even be different levels of PoA such as financial only, medical only and the full PoA.

Speaking of medical, there are medical related forms that are all encompassing or only applicable to a specific care facility. There may come a time where your mother is unable to make decisions regarding her medical care, so it is wise to have those documents signed and in place. These were the hardest to talk to my late mother about. She just didn't want to talk about her death and my brother & I making her healthcare decisions for her once she no longer could. DNR, Do Not Resuscitate, was the toughest one.

You mentioned a Will. May I suggest that you look into, and strongly consider, a Revocable Trust instead. I apologize if this sounds rather sterile, but typically if a person has a Trust, there are better tax consequences and more asset flexibility than a will. So both a Will and a Trust have to do with the survivors. Yet another reason why people will not discuss them.

The biggest advantage is that once a person passes away and the PoA immediately becomes null, the person(s) who have been designated as Surviving Trustees now have the legal right to make decisions regarding the deceased and their property. Trusts are so much better when settling an estate. You have not mentioned any surviving current or ex spouses or other family members. I won't go there other than to say that my mother's trust saved my brother and I some big headaches from other family members.

Google "Revocable Trust explained" to get started. Avoiding Probate is a biggie.

I am sorry that your mother is going through all these health problems. My mother struggled with leukemia & the onset of dementia her last couple of years and having her legal affairs in order allowed us to more fully focus on her.

I wish your mother and you the best.