These questions pop up fairly often and the answers are always the same. Everything is in the rulebook or the SFI spec. Other than some amendments to some of the specs, it hasn't changed in many years. Not wanting to do it doesn't change the answers. Not wanting to cut or "mess up" a nice car also does not change the answers.

It needs to be welded in or welded to proper plates on the floor and 100% welded together, except for legal swing out side bars, which have their own requirements. They still allow plates to be bolted to the floor, but I haven't seen that done by anyone in a long time. The diagonal "D" bars from the mainhoop to the floor are required if it's not welded to a frame, also on plates or welded to frame ties. Chicken s*** welds done with a fluxcore or stick welder will fail a cert.

If a track allows anything other than this to slide, it's between the "tech" guy, the track owner and his insurance company, if he has insurance. You can run there if you like. I have in the past and saw people get hurt over some dumba$$ stuff.

Years ago, we got involved with an old truck with a big motor that needed a cage before they would let him come back. He didn't want the body cut. I had similar conversations with one of the best guys at NHRA about it. He finally got tired of me asking, "well what if" and said "does he want a street car or a race car? If he wants to do that, it has to be this way." I never asked again.

Keep in mind, the rule book is a minimum. There is plenty of room for additional things to be done to improve the structure.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 10/22/21 01:37 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.