Originally Posted by dvw
The 2nd gear and D positions both rely on the low roller clutch to hold the rear drum in 1st gear. If the roller clutch doesn't hold, 1st will slip. Unless you select manual low which engages the low/reverse band. But in my experience if the the roller clutch is intermittent it will shudder pretty good. They have to be pretty beat up to function intermittently. Did you check the rear drum for to see if the roller clutch was functioning during assembly? I suppose you could have installed the rollers and springs reversed.
Doug

Yes I checked by spinning the output shaft and it worked, it's also not intermittent... I'm not driving it around, I assume it can cause some serious damage if I drive it like that?

If I had put the rollers and spring backwards wouldn't it have been slipping from the begining? I drove it a few miles after install and it was working perfectly! The rollers and springs looked new and like I said before, the cam had a little wear in a few spots but I smoothed it out...

I actually do recall spinning the hub at some point to make sure it was working correctly but I guess it's possible I made a mistake if that's the only thing it could be??? shruggy

I took my time on this and highly doubt I made a mistake but anything's possible...

If I have to take it apart again I actually don't mind doing it, I really enjoyed building it the first time but I have so many projects Id rather save the time and I'm hoping it's something I only have to take the pan off for!

So far all signs point to the sprag! bawling

Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 08/22/21 09:12 PM.