Originally Posted by viperblue72
Well I just recently got my Cuda running with the new 511 that made 742/700 on the dyno. I added a twin disc clutch with the factory 23 spline trans along with a Strange Dana 60 and new beefy driveline with 1350 joints. I knew the 833 wasn’t up to the task but I had hoped it would hold up for a while until I could afford something else.
Well the first time down the strip under decent power it blew 3rd gear.
I am looking at the tremec magnum 600, also the 5-speeds. Can I upgrade the 5 speed to handle the power? There is also gforce and Hightower transmissions. I’m not too familiar with any of them. This is a street/strip car.
I would like to hear others experience and recommendations.

Your clutch broke your gearbox. That clutch will keep breaking whatever you put behind it. If you buy a gearbox that it doesn’t break, it will kill other parts. So you have two options. Sell that parts breaking clutch and put the money you get out of it into a good clutch. You need an adjustable clutch with a sintered iron disc. Advanced Clutches, Black Magic Clutches, Hyatt (if his son is still doing clutches) will set you up with a clutch that won’t break parts and you can tune the clutch.

If you aren’t that serious about clutch tuning then you need to look up the “clutch tamer” on the web and have Grant hook you up with one of his clutch tamers. His stuff is significantly cheaper than a sintered iron clutch. If you go this route you can keep the clutch you have.

I prefer a tunable clutch but you can get it done with the clutch tamer. Both of these solutions are significantly less expensive than buying a new gear box.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston