Originally Posted by Mastershake340

I have doubts EV is going to ever be practical for over the road. Stopping for an hour or two to charge a semi isn’t going to work. I’ve seen proposals where low battery packs would be quickly swapped for fresh charged ones at trucks stops but that seems impractical to set up the infrastructure to do that.
Other vocations EV is doubtful to ever be practical, fire trucks, construction, utility companies where trucks operate remote and running equipment off the power train for their work are several examples.
It’s going to take a long while to figure it all out but I think in the end there will be different fuel power for different truck vocations just like is happening with school buses now.
Cars and light trucks will probably end up being similar, EV can grow in % of the fleet, but can it ever be 100%? I have my doubts!
Right now in China they have electric filling stations where you don't recharge the battery that's in the vehicle - the whole battery is swapped out for a fully charged one. Whether this is practical in the long run for all applications, in all sorts of weather conditions, remains to be seen. If it does it will rely heavily on automotve designs being modified to accommodate quick swaps. I don't see gas or diesel, or CNG going away, but maybe for those vehicles where unlimited range and an onboard fuel supply is desirable it may end up running something like straight hydrogen gas to power either internal combustion engines modified to run on hydrogen, or in fuel cells to generate electricity.
From an environmental standpoint, I for one won't mind if China skips mechanizing its people on traditional fossil fuels and goes straight to electric, much like most of the 3rd world skipped landline technology and embraced wiresless instead. . Lord knows they pollute enough without 3 billion gas-burning cars on their roads. But from a technology and energy economics standpoint it's a different story. China's already eating our lunch when it comes to manufacturing. It may not be long before the rest of the world starts spying on them and stealing their ideas (for a change) when it comes to EV and other technology