Originally Posted by steve70
Remember, the biggest critics own the worst cars or none at all

Just the other day I was at Auto Zone and the guy behind the counter (my friend-a co-worker from my regular job who works part time there) asks me the make model year,etc and I say 1970 'Cuda 440 engine code U because although it isn't original this is what I need parts for. This guy at the next counter over hears me saying that and he interrupts my conversation to say in an exasperated voice, "Please tell me that is all original matching numbers?" I said, "No, it is a tribute car" He then walks out shaking his head as if I just destroyed the car hobby by putting a 440 in an original 318 Barracuda. By the way the reason I quoted the above statement is because he walks out to his Chevy which nothing against Chevy but was real ratty truck and he begins to install his alternator. The truck had been there for 2 days because he was waiting for the alternator to come in. I was going to tell him that I do have a matching numbers Challenger 340 Convertible one of 66 made but I said to myself this jerk isn't worth it. He didn't know the story of the car. Sure I wish it was an original 'Cuda but this is the way I bought it and not everyone can afford an original U code 'Cuda. I certainly wasn't going to take out the 440 and install the 318. So I can't enjoy the hobby with a tribute car? My car is a lot of fun and due to it not being original I can drive it places where I wouldn't drive a rare original restored 'Cuda.

#2) There is a local club in my area called The Slant Six club and even though I no longer own a /6 I have been a member for many years. At one of the very first events I attended this guy told me that Chrysler made a 383 in the '60s with a distributor in the rear. Now Mopar has done so many things over the years I am no expert on this stuff but I was sure that this statement was incorrect. I told him so politely but he insisted he was right. After a while it got pretty loud because I wasn't backing down. Eventually the guy got pissed off and walked away and I never saw him again. The shame of it was he wasn't a bad guy. He probably just got some bad information but would just not admit he was wrong. In all the years in my club this is the only incident I ever had. That is a pretty good record!

One more: This guy I used to work with at my job is a big Mopar guy. He knew I was a Mopar guy because sometimes I wear a Mopar hat. So one day as I was walking by him he blurts out at me "I have a set of 340 valve covers". I was like, "Huh?" Instead of just introducing himself or saying Hi this is what he did. The he was constantly telling me about all the cars he had every time he saw me. So after hearing these stories over and over again I said to him, "Can I come over some day to see your cars?" He says and I quote, "Hell NO!" really loud but not to my face. He looked away. I was shocked. I definitely didn't expect that. It was like he thought I was going to case his house and come back to rob him.The friendship ended right there. I never talked to him again. By contrast I met another guy at my job who is a big Mopar guy with 7 Mopars and with him I didn't even have to ask. After a while he invited me over to see his cars. I just went there 2 weeks ago and guess what? I didn't steal anything!

My point is when someone blurts something out in the middle of a conversation be very wary of that person. They just might have a few screws loose.

Last edited by LimelightCuda; 07/07/21 12:51 PM.

Phil

1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe
1970 A66 Challenger Convertible