Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
When I was a Honda tech back in the mid 80's they ran straight 30 weight in all their manual boxes and they shifted like butter and lasted half a million miles shruggy Never tried it in my boxes but I do run one quart of 30 weight motor oil mixed in with the mineral based 75-90. I've see a few cluster gears flaked where the rollers ride from ATF. twocents
I ran the Redline in my Richmond when it still had syncros and I didn't like the way it power shifted.

Gus beer

Every 833 that I've taken apart that was run on ATF need the cluster pin replaced , you could catch a fingernail on the lip where the rollers ran.

FACT. I have one in the shop right now that had ATF in it and it needs a new main shaft because it is flaking where the main shaft goes into the input. Seen this so many times over the years it’s just dumb to use ATF in a gear box.

ATF and running the box dry are the only things that cause that issue. If you live where it gets cold, any decent synthetic gear oil will be far better than ATF.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston