Originally Posted by 5thAve
Krown, Rust Check or any other oil type rust proofing/undercoating is the way to go. Anything that hardens is going to make it worse.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you about Krown. I took two vehicles to a Krown in Sarnia, ON. a few years ago & had them do both. Seemed great going on & the stuff dripped for days - I thought great - penetrating stuff getting everywhere. Then 2 years later, the hood on one of the vehicles started rusting along the front seam & I had even sprayed extra along areas like this myself several times after (they gave me a few cans of the stuff). Next time the car was in the air, I checked out the undercarriage - there was no trace of Krown anywhere - it did not set up at all - it all rinsed off. Nothing to be found in nooks or crannies anywhere. Krown is not petroleum based, it's more like vegetable oil. It's useless. For rustproofing, if it's not petroleum based & toxic, it's useless.

Best stuff I've ever found was the old Texaco rustproofing - it's not available anymore. The stuff was like a thick brown grease, & if you coated something, it would NEVER come off. They would heat it to thin it out & spray it on. I have a 5-gallon can of it still & use it occasionally. This summer I plan on experimenting with reducing it down with mineral spirits & I need to rustproof my Ram with it. Need to spray it inside of the doors, rockers, & other areas. I've already used it on the rear wheelwells of the truck shortly after I bought it - up in the doublewall areas above the rear wheels where they all rust.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified