Moparts

What is the black oil product that people spray on frames?

Posted By: hp383

What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 12:23 AM

Looking for information on the black oil product people use on vehicle frams to protect them from rust.

Not that Ziebart thick undercoat.

I have a clean, but surface rusty frame on a weekend driver that I'd like to make a bit more presentable. But I don't have the means to completely clean and strip the frame to paint with POR 15 or Rustoleum type products at this time.

I just want to do what I can afford to keep the truck in good shape until an opportunity to do something better is available.

Attached picture 20210527_145456.jpg
Attached picture SmartSelect_20200331-174407_Gallery.jpg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 12:38 AM

Its oil ... then you drive it down a dirt road. PRESTO - black oily crap !!

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 12:57 AM

The product I am referring to is actually tinted black. It comes in its natural oil version and a tinted variety so it doesn't just look like wet brown rust.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 12:59 AM

I am not familiar with an oil product but I have had good luck with Extend rust convertor or similar.

I often use Rustoleum but to get it black you would want to use the primer and then the paint.
Posted By: CKessel

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 01:10 AM

Eastwood, Wurth, 3M and others make that. Eastwood has both the oil/wax type which never hardens, creeps in/travels etc or the polymer type which hardens like paint. The oil/wax type works great but you need to be mindful of dust/dirt/sand/mud as the oil will attract it.
Posted By: jcc

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 01:14 AM

I would be very hesitant to coat any steel, with the level of rust I see in the pic, with a coating that would harden and trap future moisture.

If removing the rust was not an option, definitely an oil/wax type coating would be the direction I would go.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 01:27 AM

Ospho rust converter
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 01:29 AM

Wool Wax

Wax Oil
Posted By: 340mouse

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 01:56 AM

Fluid Film, there is a clear and a black.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 02:15 AM

Were I live in the rust belt there is Krown Rust Protection and other companies. New vehicles that are Trucks or SUVs when delivered to the Dealer already show rust on the frame and Cast iron such as the Rear end. I get them to rust coat the complete truck I have bought over the years and it seems to keep everything mostly rust free. Spray the inside of the body also. You can also buy cans ot this from Krown or others.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 04:17 AM

Krown, Rust Check or any other oil type rust proofing/undercoating is the way to go. Anything that hardens is going to make it worse.

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 340mouse
Fluid Film, there is a clear and a black.

This is the stuff I was thinking of. Thank you.

Now I can look it up to be sure its the oil based film I was wanting.

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 06:19 AM

I definitely wasn't looking for anything that hardened. Just an oil and I guess also maybe a wax product.

Thank you guys for the help.
Posted By: 360view

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 12:08 PM

I bought a gallon of “Safest Rust Remover” concentrate that makes five gallons of “fountain spray” but have not gotten around to buying the kiddie pool to place under the truck. I have a 120 volt AC fountain pump.

I saw the video here on Moparts of de-rusting the underside frame and axle assembly of the Ram by gently spraying the solution onto a rusty area and catching the solution in the kiddie pool and constantly recirculating with the fountain pump. Move the spray head progressively on to new rusty areas.

Safest Rust Remover allegedly can do this but EvapOrust liquid cannot.
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 12:59 PM

por-15 is a brush on black, was very popular a few years ago
Posted By: Dodger440

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 01:06 PM

New Hampshire Oil is another one. They offer it in both clear and black. It is mineral oil based
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 01:21 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KyeNgEnEkE
Posted By: burdar

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 01:42 PM

The underside of that truck is MINT! We don't even call that rust here in Iowa.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
Krown, Rust Check or any other oil type rust proofing/undercoating is the way to go. Anything that hardens is going to make it worse.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you about Krown. I took two vehicles to a Krown in Sarnia, ON. a few years ago & had them do both. Seemed great going on & the stuff dripped for days - I thought great - penetrating stuff getting everywhere. Then 2 years later, the hood on one of the vehicles started rusting along the front seam & I had even sprayed extra along areas like this myself several times after (they gave me a few cans of the stuff). Next time the car was in the air, I checked out the undercarriage - there was no trace of Krown anywhere - it did not set up at all - it all rinsed off. Nothing to be found in nooks or crannies anywhere. Krown is not petroleum based, it's more like vegetable oil. It's useless. For rustproofing, if it's not petroleum based & toxic, it's useless.

Best stuff I've ever found was the old Texaco rustproofing - it's not available anymore. The stuff was like a thick brown grease, & if you coated something, it would NEVER come off. They would heat it to thin it out & spray it on. I have a 5-gallon can of it still & use it occasionally. This summer I plan on experimenting with reducing it down with mineral spirits & I need to rustproof my Ram with it. Need to spray it inside of the doors, rockers, & other areas. I've already used it on the rear wheelwells of the truck shortly after I bought it - up in the doublewall areas above the rear wheels where they all rust.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 05:34 PM

I am not a fan of any of the sealings or undercoatings for the bottom of our cars. I have sure seen plenty of factory undercoat cars that were very rusty UNDER the undercoating. If and when any water gets under the coating and starts to rust, the trapped water will really go-to-town. It is impossible to totally seal the bottom of a car from water and salt and such. Besides the fact that water, salt and other contaminants can come from above and then get trapped under the sealer.

That stuff may be okay as a sound deadener or something like that, but I don't think it is much help with rust proofing. I have just seen too many examples of rusty undercoated cars. twocents
Posted By: jcc

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/28/21 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by burdar

laugh2

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/29/21 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by burdar

laugh2

I wonder if he knows this truck is from Iowa?
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/29/21 10:02 AM

We have Krown in our area. I've never done it a the manual for both vehicles says something about it may void the warranty if it's not Mopar rustproofing. Not sure what it would void, but with lifetime max care, I just take it through the car wash that has the undercarriage spray and wipe all the door jambs, hood, trunk, and make sure the weep holes are clear.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/29/21 11:16 AM

There is a shop in this area that does Fluid Film and a new one called PFC. It comes tinted black also. Cost is the same but they say the PFC is better. shruggy
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/29/21 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted by 5thAve

Sorry, I have to disagree with you about Krown. I took two vehicles to a Krown in Sarnia, ON. a few years ago & had them do both. Seemed great going on & the stuff dripped for days - I thought great - penetrating stuff getting everywhere. Then 2 years later, the hood on one of the vehicles started rusting along the front seam & I had even sprayed extra along areas like this myself several times after (they gave me a few cans of the stuff). Next time the car was in the air, I checked out the undercarriage - there was no trace of Krown anywhere - it did not set up at all - it all rinsed off. Nothing to be found in nooks or crannies anywhere. Krown is not petroleum based, it's more like vegetable oil. It's useless. For rustproofing, if it's not petroleum based & toxic, it's useless.

I only included Krown because in some areas that's all that's available and it's better then nothing.If the truck doesn't see winter use it'll last a while.

That being said I don't go to Krown because there are better places locally to go to. You are supposed to get it re-done every year but other companies say that too and there is still signs of there stuff being there several years later.
Posted By: 360view

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/29/21 03:21 PM

I still want to know why replaceable “Boat Zinks” are not used on automobile undercarriages.

I guess I ought to know,
as I have taken two graduate level courses on Corrosion,
but I admit I do not know why.

Best part of those corrosion courses was the field trips to the
LaQue Corrosion Center on Kure Beach NC,
with its hundreds of racks exposing different metal alloys to the salt air,
and down just barely back from the beach, dozens of air conditioning condensing units being evaluated in such harsh conditions under contract.
Then the course Professor would take us off shore fishing.

https://www.starnewsonline.com/article/NC/20040220/News/605083433/WM

For WW-II history buffs
The LaQue field test center sat on the island site of the rapidly built plant to extract Magnesium and Bromine from seawater
so that the USA could produce the lighter/stronger aluminum alloy
that was one of many reasons the Mitsubishi Zero naval fighter
could climb so fast and have such long range.
Irony here: Howard Hughes used Al-Mg alloys in his HR-1 racing airplane
and Japanese espionage stole many of Hughes innovations,
then signed a licensing agreement to build Curtis Wright engines in Japan.

After WW-II Canadian owned International Nickel Company bought both the plant and all Kure Beach island at a war surplus auction for 10% of what it cost to build.
Plant manager Francis LaQue later became President of International Nickel.

Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/29/21 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 360view
I still want to know why replaceable “Boat Zinks” are not used on automobile undercarriages.

I guess I ought to know,

and down just barely back from the beach, dozens of air conditioning condensing units being evaluated in such harsh conditions under contract.

For WW-II history buffs
The LaQue field test center sat on the island site of the rapidly built plant to extract Magnesium and Bromine from seawater

After WW-II Canadian owned International Nickel Company bought both the plant and all Kure Beach island at a war surplus auction for 10% of what it cost to build.

Huh?
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/29/21 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 360view

I guess I ought to know,

For WW-II history buffs

We used zink for electrolysis on our boat (trim tabs and bottom metal pieces) out on the bay (brackish to pure salt water) didn’t know they would help against corrosion
Posted By: RalleyA12

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/30/21 01:12 AM

https://www.rustkote.com/ I'm pretty sure they have a black non hardening, oil based product.
Posted By: moparx

Re: What is the black oil product that people spray on frames? - 05/30/21 06:41 PM

i get my 99 caravan [my "bus"] sprayed every other year by my one buddy that has a small repair shop.
he has a "secret" [laugh2] concoction of oils he uses, but it's not black. it's redish, but there is no transmission fluid in the mix.
i drilled a bunch of holes in the doors, gate, dog legs, and rockers, so as to saturate the foam stuff used in these areas with oil. these things really rust around here due to the salt brine mix used in the winter. as this thing came from arizona, and only had rust specks due to chipped paint, i want to keep it this way !
his "formula" seems to be working, as it's still the same as it was when we got it in 2014. boogie
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums