Originally Posted by larrymopar360
I'm thinking of building another small block (meaning paying someone to) and am very interested in using a spread bore carb and intake. Mild performing 360 street engine. I REALLY miss that sound of a Qjet or TQ. I realize tuning one isn't the easiest, and parts sourcing can be difficult but if there's not a big dropoff in performance due to the intake and carb itself versus something like an edelbrock performer air airgap with Holley 3310 than I'd love to have that sound again.

Problem is I don't know if there are good intakes available, especially aluminum to accommodate a spread bore carb and if I'm sacrificing lots of power.

Also not a fan of any carb adapters but what do I know? Not much.

I have run a few of them on my SB trucks. I like the early-mid 70s q-jet to swap a mopar throttle plate or lever on and run them (327-350 chebby carbs are bestest)

I have on the shelf a

edelbrock 1905 Q-jet which list for 85 d150/auto correct throttle linkage hook up with stock 85 q-jet 318/360 engines.

NOS/NITB military surplus Holley 650cfm spredbore list for 86 d150 3604v engine. again correct throttle linkage hook up on the stock 85 d150 linkage

Mercruzer chevy 305 CI (boat q-jet non-emissions only has 2 small vac ports.1-choke pull off, 2- dist vac can & NO PCV) I ground the throttle lever off a 88 police 3184v q-jet (feedback carb) tack weld it to the throttle shaft after removing the GM style throttle lever..

IIRC, thermobog 3 piece PTK linkage will be the stock PTK linkage you will be looking for to use with a stock intake on your 79 truck you can mod the 79 2v 3 piece rods to fit and adjust out or adapt any 3 piece set up to it if need be. you can mod a 1 piece to work with a couple of the slotted flat bars bolted together (carb stud to bellcrank)

I know for sure the 85 q-jet stock 1-piece PTK linkage works with these intakes and are bolt on/adjusts with no mods.

stock 318/360 cast iron 4v intake (best on 360 heads for port size matching)
Edelbrock RPM air-gap large ports

for a small port head 273/318

stock 273 cast iron intake
273 duelquad intake
LD4B
Edelbrock performer 318/340/360
Holley Street Dominator

there are other intakes but will all be the 340/360 port size so pick your poison

my new 318 build is getting the Holley STREET Dominator with the brand new holley 650cfm spredbore. I added a QFT adjustable vac pod to it so it will be easy to control the big 2ndary opening and give that big Q-jet howl
I have a set of duel feed bowls/fuel line on another Holley 6213 800cfm spredbore I may swap on...it makes the spredbore carb LOOK HUGE sitting there on an intake.

your police cars should already have the 4v PTK and the stock 4v intake would look more correct. the hardest part is always finding the PTK linkage when swapping things around or having to mod some linkage up to work correctly

PTK working and adjusted correctly is very important or just go manual. but you know this.

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 05/20/21 09:05 AM.