Originally Posted by ek3
Originally Posted by volaredon
As title says. I'm building one up to replace the original one in my 85 D150. Figured I could build a better engine being I don't have to spend money on a V8 pan,V8 mounts, V8 radiator, V8 trans, etc
Got block back from machine shop 20-over, crank std/std, they still have the head for o/s valves and finish porting, as well as a shave.
I sent the cam in for a regrind, hogged out the exhaust manifold outlet, am adding a super 6 (have NOS BBD carb here for it)
Has 727 trans that will stay (YES I can tell a 727 from a 904! 3.21 gears.
I have seen a 6 cyl 300 ford outrun all the v 8's and set the track record on a 1/2 mile oval race track.... its hard to be humble when that happens !!

A local guy here did that in the 70's with that engine platform. Mostly 1/4 mile dirt tracks. Can't remember if it was a 240 or a 300 but V8s were very restricted by the rules under DIRT, basically a stock engine with a cam, 600 Holley and headers.

The only rules for a six was it had to run on gasoline and use a cast intake.

With 3 Webers, big cam, ported head and lots of compression, it laid waste to the field, for one season... lol. Rule change, no more multiple carbs and there wasn't a cast single 4 manifold that could do the job the Webers did.

Kevin