Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Originally Posted by Redbird
A number of lumber mills closed down during the pandemic. Challenges with outbreaks among workers. Tariffs on Canadian wood figure in too.

Prices on wood will go down, It may take 9 months or so.

Price other building materials besides wood. They have all gone up too. Windows, copper, any bath item that is not a commodity loss leader at HD or Lowes. I looked at buying some flagstone for a patio last spring. I was taken aback. I'd guess it is more now.

Indiana, Ohio, Illinois; those places one can buy old stock housing for bottom dollar. Places that are growing, anywhere west of and including Denver in Colorado for instance, have out of this world prices for, land, existing housing stock, and new homes. The next challenge will be when folks with no equity have to weather a downturn. Plus the lack of water in the American West slowly and steadily moves forward.

Gens X, Y, and Z will need deep pockets.

You would be surprised what houses are going for in the midwest, mine just had a 20% increase in the last 16 months, can't believe anyone would want to live here... shruggy

The average house here sells in a couple hours at or above a greatly elevated price. None to be found except a $100,000 house asking $180,000. The market for housing in Illinois is at a record high despite people thinking otherwise. Chicago is only a small spot in the northeast part of state with over 400 miles of Illinois south of it.