Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
Originally Posted by TC@HP2
Color selection on cars had a lot to do with the economic success or malaise of the times. By 1972, things weren't the greatest of times economically, politically, militarily, or nearly any other measure you could come up with. This certainly lead to a lot of cars being made in greens, golds, and browns across all makes.

Actually, I think it is what most people have bought. Whether it was the consumer driving the color choices or the manufacturer, I don't know. But as I drive my silver 2020 Hyundai down the street I see a whole lot of white, gray, silver, and black from all makes. I drive by the Cadillac dealer on a regular basis, all drab, boring colors on their lot. Now, across the street at the used car dealer there are a lot of colors, but that seems to be what they want to sell. "Boring" colors have always been sold in larger numbers. Perhaps the marketing folks know the real answer. Now, for my car. We weren't looking for a boring color, but bought the car because it was deeply discounted.

Manufacturers use focus groups to gauge consumer reaction to features and changes. They get 20% that like earth tones, they are going to start throwing them into the mix. Then others like them so the manufacturer starts adding more tones. More are bought, the cycle continues until they sales drop or focus groups change direction. Heck, just the other day I saw a factory brown, late model car. I don't think I've seen factory brown colors since around 1980.

There was a time in the early 00s when everyone had a couple of silvers and greys. New metallics and pearls have brought new life to whites and blacks that didn't exist before. Of course there are always going to be reds and blues. Overall, not a lot of people are particularly adventurous with their car color. As their second largest purchase, most won't go too far out on a limb.