Came upon our first hurdle for our proposed 'tuning' day - damn balancer no longer has any timing marks on it! Just rust.

It's a Powerbond that Dan from Performance Only suggested I use, lack of use and care clearly led to it being nothing much more than rust. For some bizarre reason that I can't recollect, the engine was assembled with a Precision Performance balancer, that I still have. I just can't remember why I changed it over? I just can't remember if there was an issue with the Precision Performance balancer, or if I simply forgot to give the Powerbond to the crew that assembled the engine for me, and they supplied (at my cost) the precision balancer,

I really don't think I've turned a screw to tune the engine in about 10 years, and it probably hasn't even been on the street in over 5 years.

I turn it over occasionally, and if it sits for too long, I pull the distributor and prime with a priming rod, so really need to double check the timing (although it did fire up last weekend OK). I mark the distributor and rotor, so it should be reasonably close.
I just remember that when I did install the Powerbond balancer, I managed to mess up the key. So, somewhat hesitant to do it again.

Anyway, this weekend might be more of a degrease the engine and clean it all up, as opposed to doing some tuning. Passenger side valve cover gasket is leaking like a sieve anyway, so we can at least replace those this weekend.