Originally Posted by AndyF
Hard to tell from your thread what exactly you're looking for. Sounds like you have a low deck stroker with 498 cubes? Compression seems a little high for pump gas but maybe you'll be lucky. I don't know anything about Pro Maxx heads, I assume that is a cheap Chinese knock off head. The flow numbers you posted aren't very good compared to a Trick Flow 240 head so they must be something like a Stealth or RPM head. If that is the case then 600 hp can be a stretch, even with 498 cubes. A Performer RPM will choke it down even more so you might end up with something in the 550 hp range with the right cam. Nothing really wrong with that, I ran a low deck 470 in my Coronet that made 470 hp at the rear tires and it was a beast on the street. The trick was to keep the cam on the small side rather than let it get too big and kill the low end torque. I wrote an article on cam testing in that engine about 20 years ago, still worth reading for someone in your position: http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/Lobe.html

Yes Andy the heads are a Chinese knock off head that have a pretty good reputation over the 440 Source or other knock off heads. They are the same casting as the Sidewinders sold by Marsh performance and Bruce Toth. I dont and would not expect them to be the in the same ballpark as the Trick Flow heads but for a budget minded enthusiast, they seem to be a good value considering I only have $1200 in them with Comp 7* retainers, springs of my choice and a decent port job. I inquired here regarding the cam choice knowing people like you in here have a lot more experience than I do with cam testing therefore being able to better predict the outcome a specific came choice over another. I do not expect my 498 build to be the most Bad A$$ or whatever but I have a goal that I would like to meet and I enjoy reading the opinions and insight of others who have been down this road before I. In short I was aksing, what would you do in this situation... I think my motor build is fairly clear... as is the use of the car and its description. Needs to be street worthy on pump gas but it will be driven to the track frequently and my track being part of the Rocky Mountain Race Week.... I intend on participating next season.

Im still learning here, so if you have a question that you need me to clarify, be specific and I will answer to the best of my ability. You do amazing work, I love your articles and the products you bring to the table.

Thank you for your input

71340741_10215764885214855_7436377144470536192_n.jpg70805839_10215764885654866_9130531426783985664_n.jpg
Last edited by MrMayhem; 02/11/21 05:24 PM.