Originally Posted by cudaman1969
And the 01 has had EVERYTHING replaced except the heads- block over a 3 year period. I’m so deep in it now I don’t know which way to go. Parts today are crap compared to 30-40 years ago. I won’t even go into how many things I’ve fixed-replaced and will have to fix-replace in the future on my 06 3500 4x4 diesel pickup. Be nice for one of them to go 6 months without working on either. I have a 15 SRT that’s been in the shop four times and only 20 thousand miles on it. Warranty runs out on the first and scared shitless with what breaks next. I love Mopar but they’re junk today. I’ve had many old mopars and drove them till the wheels fell off, so been there done that.
Oh and if you’re 30-35 20 years is a long time but at 71, 20 years is a blip

I fully understand your position. The parts available today are no where near as good as they were 10 years ago.

The last "new" car I bought was a 2004, and as far as I'm concerned, it will be the last "new" car I buy. From here on, when I absolutely need a different car, I will buy the used car that is in the best condition I can find. I can put a couple of months worth of car payments (I can't imagine what the monthly payment on a 70K truck looks like) in car repair on the 04 I already own, every 6 months and still be way ahead of the game, and I know what I have.

Oh, and for the record, I was born in 56, 30 years old was more then a 1/2 of life ago. The 20 years I was referring to was in car life, and that still stands true today, like it did back then. Modern vehicles are designed to last to the end of the payment book, or to the end of the warranty, whichever comes first. If they make it to the end of the payment book, the odds are pretty high, the manufacturer got a replacement sale. The problem with Mopar is it has changed hands so many times in the last 20 years, concerns about returning sales have gone out the window. If they don't expect to own the company in 10 years, why would they care if anyone returns to buy another car or truck? Once it gets through the warranty time, their burden ends.