Originally Posted by Sniper
swapping the leads essentially just changes what happens first, the negative portion of the spike, or the positive portion. Which is why the timing will change if you do that.

Thats true as when I worked for Ford in the mid 70's to 1980 we were told switching the pick-up coil wires changes the timing about 13 degrees I believe. I think that what I remember as it was a long time ago as it may change the timing even more.
I also found out something about the MP orange ECU. Years back I put a 383 in my 318 Dart and I had to lenthen the pick-up wire harness wires. Well the car had an aftermarket ECU and it ran fine. But when I put the MP orange ECU on it the car would not run as it had no spark. So I got another orange ECU and still no spark. So I check it and do the test where you scrape the male terminal in the pick-up wire harness to ground with the key on and look for spark and I got no spark. So for the heck of it I put a nail in the female terminal and scraped it to ground and it had spark !!! So I must have reversed the wires when I made the harness longer and the MP ECU would not work like that at all but the cheaper aftermarket ECU worked fine. shocked Live and learn. Ron