Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
Thread derailment!!

In reference to Transmans post about the carb tuning and bsfc.
It’s not a good idea........ since its not directly indicative of whether or not the carb is rich or lean.

Bsfc is an efficiency reading...... the result of measured power vs fuel consumed.
Nowhere is the ratio of air to fuel referenced to arrive at a bsfc number.

Sure.......”generally” high bsfc numbers track with rich a/f ratios, but they don’t always.

I have tested a number of motors through the years that really didn’t like lean mixtures.
You’d richen them up....... a/f ratio reading would confirm....... motor would make a big move in inscreased power....... bsfc would go down.

What high bsfc numbers are really telling you is....... you’re not making good power for the amount of fuel you’re using.

Just ran a 520 inch BB Ford on the dyno the other day. This is a street motor for a pickup truck. Low compression, small cam type of motor. It made 450 hp and used 300 lbs/hr at WOT. Worst BSFC I've ever seen on the dyno. Engine ran nice and smooth. Sounded great, had a ton of vacuum at idle. Owner will be happy with all the torque but I don't think he will be happy with his gas bill!