I haven't watched too many older or B&W westerns. I'm sure there are some good ones but I don't browse them much. Many I find are a bit, well, cheesy, IMO. I've caught a few John Wayne ones and as a kid watched the occasional tv series like Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Big Valley. Sons of Katie Elder I've seen many times. Wouldn't say its great, but its pallatable

For me, good classics are Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Jeremiah Johnson. Shootist is interesting, but a bit too classic Hollywood. OF course The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is an interesting twist that is classic but not necessarily awesome. Same with High Plains Drifter, but these both seem to get a lot of airplay. I know there are some other campy flicks from this era such as Dutchess and The Dirt Water Fox , Cheyenne Social Club, or Support Your Local Gunfighter. There actually were a lot of westerns in this era that I haven't seen. Many aren't that good.

For newer stuff, certainly enjoyed Dances With Wolves and Unforgiven. I liked Pale Rider for its scenery and prospector view of life in the high country but the dialog is a bit cheesy and a boomtown that's pretty built out but mostly empty, ain't buying it.

Open Range is another modern favorite. Suspicion of outsiders, town under construction, political weight being thrown around to benefit a few, sounds pretty accurate.

Also have watched Forsaken a couple of times lately. Donald and Keifer Sutherland, depicted ranching town seems accurate, more political influence being thrown around, nothing to fancy in the town, people pretty plain and only a few nasty guys influencing things. Again, seems pretty accurate although they do put more conversation behind "the war" which seems unreasonable given this is supposed to be 1878 Wyoming.

Really enjoyed the Deadwood series on HBO. While language and situations may be a bit modern, this probably is good capture of boom town life, decor and perceived growth.

The competing stories of Wyatt Earp and Tombstone...meh. There are aspects I like and loath about both. I don't think either one really nailed it for authenticity.

Pure modern, campy indulgence that young kids can watch, The Lone Ranger. Twisted modern revisionism, The Hateful Eight.