It's not just GM. The newest car I own is a '98 BMW 740iL (second newest is a '97 540i) and they have plenty of computers and electronics. I'd never own a newer one because of the type of problems already described in this thread. (Unless I could afford to eat the depreciation on new ones, and pay the dealer when out of warranty or buy another new one. Which I won't).

At least this "old" car can be fixed by the DIYer. For example, the 540i decided this spring to start ignoring its remote key fob. Thanks to online forums, I discovered that the General Module had failed. To replace and reprogram was something like $800-1000 at the dealer. So I bought a used GM on ebay from an X5 for $25, hooked up my laptop to the car and reprogrammed it to match my chassis. Now it works again up

Previously I had gotten tired of the built-in speedometer high error on both cars (US regs allow up to some ridiculous figure like 10% high, but never reading too low). Again, forums to the rescue! With the proper software, the dash computer can be easily reprogrammed to think it's a Japanese car (which by Japan's laws has to be right-on). Now my speedo reads less than 1 mph high at 60 smile

Even though these cars are over 20 years old, it still is an odd feeling to have to use a laptop and learn programming to work on them. wrench
No such problems on the '72 Dart of course work