A small rant about GM on a Mopar forum. That is okay isn't it?

We buy and sell cars, so we occasionally need parts and service from the factory guys that there is just no other way to get it done. And clearly, all the manufacturers are doing their best to drive us all to the stealerships as often as possible. That might be okay IF the stealerships were competitive and competent. But usually they are NOT!

First complaint: I ordered a headlight and bumper cover for a '17 Sonic. There were no aftermarket pieces and used were as high as new, IF you could even find any. The headlight was about $350 and the bumper cover was nearly $200. Nothing new there, but here's the kicker; the new headlight had a $125 core charge and the b/c had a $75 core. The reason? GM does not want parts out in circulation. Even if they are un-rebuildable.

Next up; a customer was buying a different 2017 Sonic and wanted to add cruise control to it. After going to several stealerships and getting differing quotes, I had to call GM service. 'Kim' from overseas was some help, but it took 50+ minutes to find out that the only way GM would do it was to sell the entire steering wheel even though the only parts needed were the left hand switches and the small harness to connect them. Those parts separately only cost about $50. But the kicker here, the cruise must be 'programmed' to operate. And the only way to do that is with a code that comes with the steering wheel assembly. So, instead of $50 in parts and a programming charge of $50 or $60. GM will get $350 for the wheel assembly plus the programming charge.

I understand that GM is not the only one doing this, but it is the most extreme examples I have come across. There is something seriously wrong when businesses FORCE us to do business with them. Isn't technology wonderful?

Master, again and still