The best truck Dodge has ever made for numerous reasons:

Quiet, large and useful cab in either Regular or Quad Cab. The '99 to 01's have the best options for factory stereos, overhead console with trip computer, heated seats, and are generally just a nicer cab than the '98 and down. The Quad Cabs stay tight and rattle-free.
Very easy to work on. A scan tool and a set of metric and standard sockets/wrenches will fix nearly anything that goes wrong.
Speaking of going wrong, in general, 2 Gens rarely break down. The gas engines are dead reliable.
You can't beat the looks of them. 27 years later they still have an eye-catching style (especially the Sport versions).
The ride is a perfect balance of a smooth, empty ride and ability to carry some weight.
They corner and handle like all Dodges: exceptionally well.

The V6, 318, 360, and the V10 all get around the same fuel mileage. I've had nine 2Gens with the 318 (3), 360 (3), V10 (1), and Cummins (2) and the 360 is my favorite. It gets decent fuel mileage, pulls an open car hauler with a 5500 pound QuadCab 4x4 on it without issue, and it lasts forever. Most common issues is plugs, cap, rotor, wires, water pump, and throttle position sensors. We only had our V10 for 100,000 miles and had not one single issue with it, but I have heard of others going 200,000+. I have over 320,000 miles on my 360 and it runs like new. (photo attached). The Cummins are over-rated, noisy, and expensive to own (repairs, parts, and cost of fuel). I liked mine, but I sure don't miss it. In the trucking business there is a saying: "be loaded both ways" and that directly applies to owning a Cummins as there is no other reason to have one.

Drivetrain wise, the 46re transmission is a power-sucking turd like it's predecessor the 727 and is okay when it works, but they do fail. Unless you can find one under 80,000 miles you will likely wind up with one that the previous owner didn't idle in neutral or keep up on the filter and fluid. Ask this question when buying one. 4wd's are always a crap-shoot. People run them in 4wd on pavement if there's 2 flakes of snow or 10 drops of rain and burn the transfer cases out, have seen it alot. These are a simple 4wd system meant to be used to get out of a mud hole or through a snow bank, not be used as all-wheel-drive. The 9.25 rear diff is nearly indestructible but pinion bearing is a common issue......and a PIA to fix. If you hear any noise from the rear on a test drive, that's probably what it is. The NV3500 5-speeds are good transmissions, but finding one is tough. I have 3 right now but just sold one. A couple of my trucks are 4.10's, one has 3.92's but the 3.55's are the best gear for fuel mileage.

Front outer axle u-joints, ball joints, and axle seals are common fixes in the 4wd's.

The '94 to '97's have the most rust-resistant bodies. I typically still find them without any sign of rust. The '98's are the worst for rusting. The '99 to '01's are okay.

If there any downsides to these trucks it's the 46re automatic and the pinion bearing issue. I've heard of people complaining about "death wobble" replacing track bars, steering boxes, and tie rods but I've never had an issue. 10 times out of 10 it's some Meathead with big tires, lift kits or using their truck for a battering ram smashing it through every curb or hole in the road. If you look at one that has these issues, just leave it. Chances are it had the living daylights beat out of it.

Honest opinion, these are the nicest trucks to own. I'm not saying that because I'm a Mopar Guy, I'm saying it because it's the truth. I've owned the mighty, "greatest for everything" gm half tons and they simply do not compare to the 2 Gen Dodges. I've gotten more compliments on my Dodges than anything else I've ever owned.

Finally, my favorite part of owning one is not having to be at the mercy of a dealership, but still having a truck comparable to a new one........without the gawd-awful looks and massive price.

IMG_20171015_150138.jpg

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".