Moparts

1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions

Posted By: OrangeProwler

1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/17/20 06:58 PM

Just wondering what is the general opinion on these trucks? What are the best year(s) in these generation of these trucks? I know the Cummins is pretty good but, just wondering about the gas engines especially in the 1500 & 2500 platforms? Anyways, any feedback or opinions greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/17/20 10:19 PM

The best truck Dodge has ever made for numerous reasons:

Quiet, large and useful cab in either Regular or Quad Cab. The '99 to 01's have the best options for factory stereos, overhead console with trip computer, heated seats, and are generally just a nicer cab than the '98 and down. The Quad Cabs stay tight and rattle-free.
Very easy to work on. A scan tool and a set of metric and standard sockets/wrenches will fix nearly anything that goes wrong.
Speaking of going wrong, in general, 2 Gens rarely break down. The gas engines are dead reliable.
You can't beat the looks of them. 27 years later they still have an eye-catching style (especially the Sport versions).
The ride is a perfect balance of a smooth, empty ride and ability to carry some weight.
They corner and handle like all Dodges: exceptionally well.

The V6, 318, 360, and the V10 all get around the same fuel mileage. I've had nine 2Gens with the 318 (3), 360 (3), V10 (1), and Cummins (2) and the 360 is my favorite. It gets decent fuel mileage, pulls an open car hauler with a 5500 pound QuadCab 4x4 on it without issue, and it lasts forever. Most common issues is plugs, cap, rotor, wires, water pump, and throttle position sensors. We only had our V10 for 100,000 miles and had not one single issue with it, but I have heard of others going 200,000+. I have over 320,000 miles on my 360 and it runs like new. (photo attached). The Cummins are over-rated, noisy, and expensive to own (repairs, parts, and cost of fuel). I liked mine, but I sure don't miss it. In the trucking business there is a saying: "be loaded both ways" and that directly applies to owning a Cummins as there is no other reason to have one.

Drivetrain wise, the 46re transmission is a power-sucking turd like it's predecessor the 727 and is okay when it works, but they do fail. Unless you can find one under 80,000 miles you will likely wind up with one that the previous owner didn't idle in neutral or keep up on the filter and fluid. Ask this question when buying one. 4wd's are always a crap-shoot. People run them in 4wd on pavement if there's 2 flakes of snow or 10 drops of rain and burn the transfer cases out, have seen it alot. These are a simple 4wd system meant to be used to get out of a mud hole or through a snow bank, not be used as all-wheel-drive. The 9.25 rear diff is nearly indestructible but pinion bearing is a common issue......and a PIA to fix. If you hear any noise from the rear on a test drive, that's probably what it is. The NV3500 5-speeds are good transmissions, but finding one is tough. I have 3 right now but just sold one. A couple of my trucks are 4.10's, one has 3.92's but the 3.55's are the best gear for fuel mileage.

Front outer axle u-joints, ball joints, and axle seals are common fixes in the 4wd's.

The '94 to '97's have the most rust-resistant bodies. I typically still find them without any sign of rust. The '98's are the worst for rusting. The '99 to '01's are okay.

If there any downsides to these trucks it's the 46re automatic and the pinion bearing issue. I've heard of people complaining about "death wobble" replacing track bars, steering boxes, and tie rods but I've never had an issue. 10 times out of 10 it's some Meathead with big tires, lift kits or using their truck for a battering ram smashing it through every curb or hole in the road. If you look at one that has these issues, just leave it. Chances are it had the living daylights beat out of it.

Honest opinion, these are the nicest trucks to own. I'm not saying that because I'm a Mopar Guy, I'm saying it because it's the truth. I've owned the mighty, "greatest for everything" gm half tons and they simply do not compare to the 2 Gen Dodges. I've gotten more compliments on my Dodges than anything else I've ever owned.

Finally, my favorite part of owning one is not having to be at the mercy of a dealership, but still having a truck comparable to a new one........without the gawd-awful looks and massive price.

Attached picture IMG_20171015_150138.jpg

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/18/20 12:32 AM

Grizzly thank you. To be honest I would look for a stock or near stock one. Not interested in lifts or anything like that. I'm undecided on 2 wheel or 4x4 at this point and stick with a Magnum V8 I suppose. You mention the 94-97 are the most rust resistant is that because didn't use foam in the bodies like they did in the newer trucks? I know the dashboard and intake gaskets are an issue on these as well but, wondering if 303 Protectant would help? I tend to drive my vehicles fairly easy with the exception of a fun run every now and then. I test drove a few of these trucks when new and rode in a few but, that has been 15-20 years ago and my memory is fuzzy.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/18/20 12:33 AM

BTW, nice truck and very clean.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/18/20 03:48 AM

The last couple years of them also have nicer interiors.
It's a matter of opinion. I prefer the 2002-2006s. But I've liked the previous ones since they came out and still have a poster from when they were released on the wall behind me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if they weren't all rotted out around here. And that's nothing against them, just about all trucks that age are here.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/18/20 05:19 AM

You're welcome! up It still doesn't have any rust on it, thanks for the compliment!

I have a theory that Dodge may have started to try to save money and maybe used a cheaper, or no primer at all on the inside of the body panels starting in '98. It's all I can come up with as to why they rust quicker. Only a guess because I don't have a '97 or down right now to look at.

Dashboards, yes, they do crack if you don't have a garage and they are left in the sun. Bit of a strategy is to leave it or cover it up until it's time to do a heater core. I'm not familiar with the 303 protectant, but I throw a bath towel over the dash if it has to spend any extended time in the sun.

Intake gaskets, there seems to be a few but have not had to do one?

I picked up a nice 2wd and what a treat it is to drive compared to these big heavy four wheel drives. Just in the process of getting some 20's for it and use it next summer for a cruiser. Less repairs on the 2wd if that helps your decision.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/18/20 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
The last couple years of them also have nicer interiors.
It's a matter of opinion. I prefer the 2002-2006s. But I've liked the previous ones since they came out and still have a poster from when they were released on the wall behind me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if they weren't all rotted out around here. And that's nothing against them, just about all trucks that age are here.

I had an 04 but sold it because the 4.7L was getting on its last legs and rust was getting to it especially around the 190k mark among some other issues. I had it for 14 years so I think I did okay. I might be moving to a different or drier climate so that's why I'm considering as well along with a few other choices. I have a car now and miss driving having a truck and the new ones don't appeal to me much. It seems I see more of the 94-01 trucks around here both in gas and diesel form but, they are thinning out where I'm currently at in the rust belt.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/18/20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly
You're welcome! up It still doesn't have any rust on it, thanks for the compliment!

I have a theory that Dodge may have started to try to save money and maybe used a cheaper, or no primer at all on the inside of the body panels starting in '98. It's all I can come up with as to why they rust quicker. Only a guess because I don't have a '97 or down right now to look at.

Dashboards, yes, they do crack if you don't have a garage and they are left in the sun. Bit of a strategy is to leave it or cover it up until it's time to do a heater core. I'm not familiar with the 303 protectant, but I throw a bath towel over the dash if it has to spend any extended time in the sun.

Intake gaskets, there seems to be a few but have not had to do one?

I picked up a nice 2wd and what a treat it is to drive compared to these big heavy four wheel drives. Just in the process of getting some 20's for it and use it next summer for a cruiser. Less repairs on the 2wd if that helps your decision.

Yes and that's a plus. I could see that happening in 98 consider that's right around the time Diamler and Chrysler Corporation merged at that time. In my vehicles I typically use a shade to put in the windshield. The 4wd might be needed but, I might be able to squeeze by on a 2 wheel drive and it comes down to price. To me these trucks are a blend of school and new school and that's fine by me. Thank you again.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/19/20 05:10 AM

[Linked Image]

I like the 01.5 and newer due to the rear disc brakes. I’ve had this one since 03. Has 192k on it now.

....and I just replaced the dash about a year ago with a LMC unit. $330 delivered.
Posted By: YYZ

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/19/20 01:44 PM

I would happily own another clean example from this era (still miss my '02 Cummins QC/SB/4x4 that was stolen...)

The Magnum engines are hard to beat, and the issues with the bathtub gasket and IAC motor are easy and inexpensive to fix, and are not problems that will leave you stranded.

For the automatic trans, IMHO I'd set aside some $$$ for an eventual rebuild.

Later years had the option of nicer interiors (leather, woodgrain, heated seats etc.) and some other niceties like 4 wheel disc brakes.

'98 was the transitional year with both club cab/quad cab being offered, both 12V and 24V Cummins, and IIRC the dashboard/gauges were a 1-year part.

If you're going for a Cummins, there's a wealth of information out there on common issues & years. e.g. 53 block, killer dowel pin, fuel pumps on the 24V etc.

But as to the other posters, the size, styling, utility and reliability are hard to beat. Even today.
Posted By: 73MagDuster

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/19/20 02:47 PM

I like the 01.5 and newer due to the rear disc brakes. I’ve had this one since 03. Has 192k on it now.

....and I just replaced the dash about a year ago with a LMC unit. $330 delivered.

Important note: Rear disc brakes were 2500/3500 only in 2001. 1500 went 4 wheel disc in 2002 with the new body style (DR). 2500/3500 were still old body style (BR) for 2002.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/19/20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 73MagDuster

Important note: Rear disc brakes were 2500/3500 only in 2001. 1500 went 4 wheel disc in 2002 with the new body style (DR). 2500/3500 were still old body style (BR) for 2002.

I had two nearly identical 3500 4x4s, a '96 CC and '01.5 QC The brakes ALONE made the trade worthwhile. The '96 had barely adequate brakes and AWFUL 4 wheel antilock. '96 was the 1st year 4 wheel antilock was available for the 3500 4x4, simply terrible.

IIRC, May 2000 was the first availability of rear discs, when they became standard. My build date was August 23, 2000

I really thought the 1500's got rear discs first?
Posted By: jcruse64

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/19/20 06:16 PM

I like the Gen 2 a lot. I had a '95 short bed club cab 1500 4x4 that I ordered from the factory and received in April 1995. With the automatic 5.9 gasser, it did everything asked of it. Pulled my dad's '57 Bel Air from NC to southern IL, as well as many other loaded trailers and boats, bed full of gravel, etc. Wrecked ant totaled at 110K, I bought it back and rebuilt it and got another 90K out of it, before the interior, tranny, and motor started going down and I got out of it. Like Griz said, it has some bad points; the transmissions were famous in the early years for needing rebuilds after 50K (mine made it to about 160K before requiring this), the pinion seal and gear, and the dash not being able to take the sun. I wish the '95 had also had the extra doors, but definitely a roomier cab than the '93 club cab I currently have. Also like the interior of the 98+ years. If I found another club cab 5.9 gasser, it would be hard to turn away, especially a +98 model. I like the looks of this gen; the front end is nowhere near as obnoxious as any of these new trucks.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/20/20 12:00 AM

OK, not to hijack, but I have a question. On the extended cab models with the seatbelt in the seat, are new/refurbished parts available to fix the tensioners?

Before I bought my current Dakota, I looked at a number of extended cab trucks of the vintage mentioned, and every one of them the belts were inop. What little I looked into it back then (5 yrs ago) it seemed the only replacements were from the dealer (re:$$$$$$) Still the same way? I passed on a '95 because of this issue.

Just curious.

popcorn

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/20/20 02:39 PM

The seat belt was locked?

If so, my '98 did that once and it "reset" itself after a couple of days. Just looked on Youtube and a module with ball in it under the center console is the issue. Seems to me if you tap that module to reset the position of the ball, the belt should unlock?

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/20/20 10:36 PM

The seat belt was locked?

If so, my '98 did that once and it "reset" itself after a couple of days. Just looked on Youtube and a module with ball in it under the center console is the issue. Seems to me if you tap that module to reset the position of the ball, the belt should unlock?

All the ones I saw the belt was fully extended, they wouldn't wind back up. Usually just the drivers side, but in some cases, both sides. For me to see it on almost every truck I looked at, I thought it was a more common issue.

(shoulda made that more clear rather than just say 'inop')
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/20/20 11:10 PM

When I get out of my Dakota, or my coupe with Dakota belts, I always untangle the belt that seems to get twisted up every time when its pulled out far enough to go over my fat body. Once untangled, as I'm getting out of the ride, I give the belt between the retract mechanism and the seat back a little tug, and it always recoils very nicely. I don't believe the retract mechanisms have enough power to pull the twisted belt back in. I'm sure once the belts get a fold in them, or they get rolled over and simply don't get pulled back in for a while, the retract coils probably just don't work anymore.

I've seen where people will tie a knot in the belt up by the top anchor at the door post so it doesn't put tension on their shoulders. Can't imagine after a few months like that the belt would ever retract again. Gene

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/20/20 11:47 PM

I'll have to leave that to someone else, John, I haven't run into it. shruggy

I do like the design a lot: the tension is light and it sets in a perfect spot. You can't even tell you have the belt on. Coming from First Gen belts that ride on your neck it is a significant improvement.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/21/20 12:28 AM

The belts weren't folded over. and the trucks had various mileage on them. The drivers/sellers were of various girth........ whistling

I was just curious about it, no worries. If I ever get back into a full size, it would probably be one of these.

beer
Posted By: mopardude318

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/21/20 03:20 PM

I have an ‘02 2500 cummins quad cab long bed, automatic. Just turned 300,000 miles. The diesel has been flawless, no problems. I haul a 14ft heavy dump trailer with 5 tons of base rock. The automatic and 3.54 gears suck for this purpose. The dashes bust apart if you sneeze on them. I just replaced it last month with a new one from LMC. What a horrible terrible job to do. But it’s done and looks better than ever. It really freshened up the interior! I need a new steering wheel, it’s all rubbed off bare at 12:00.

The harmonic balancer went out, taking out the front crank seal, leaky oily mess under the truck. I’ll fix that next week with a new FluidDampener and new seal, gotta pull the timing cover. It’ll take a weekend.

I did a FreeSpin Warn hub conversion getting rid of the unit bearings on the (CAD Free, 01.5-02 only) front Dana 60, I now have serviceable US made Timken Wheel bearings and selectable Warn Premium hubs, with an Eaton electric locker in the front. That was an expensive ordeal.

The rear Disc brake Dana 70 went out at 200,000 miles. Took out the gears & limited slip. $2500 to fix it like new. I’m now swapping in a Dana 80 that came factory with the manual transmission trucks. They last forever, unlike the 70. Also putting in a Detroit locker.

Speaking of manual transmission, I’m swapping over to an NV5600, I have most of the parts. Maybe next summer. Any automatic transmission sucks.

Oh yea, I love the long bed. I see new trucks all over with a short bed, I just laugh and shake my head every time I see one.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/21/20 06:01 PM

I still have my 02 Cummins (HO), 6spd, 2WD, quad cab with "short box" (fits 4x8 sheet of plywood??), that I bought new. Only have 79k miles on it now . . . only driven 6 times in the winter !! Sure I had to do the lift pump and injector pump, but other than that, it has been rock solid !! The "older" body style, with the "newer" running gear (4wheel disc brake, limited slip) . . . guess this will be with me forever !

How did the V10 versions fair out ?? Don't see too many anymore . . .

Attached picture Revelstoke 2019.jpg
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/22/20 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by mopardude318

Oh yea, I love the long bed. I see new trucks all over with a short bed, I just laugh and shake my head every time I see one.

I never liked long beds. I like the look and overall length better with the old style 6 1/2 foot short beds. That's what my 2004 has. At least with the tail gate down you can still get a full 4X8 sheet in it. I never liked the short short bed that it seems all new trucks have now along with 4 door cab.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/23/20 09:47 PM

Thank you all again and definitely some nice trucks in this thread. My apologies for not replying sooner. Well, I'm looking out for one of these along with a few other options as well but, keep leaning this way a bit for now. Most in price range are 2wd with some 4x4 with higher miles. I hope to find a clean one for a reasonable price and not trashed. Guess we'll see what time brings.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/24/20 06:20 PM

Yeah, john...I've owned my '01 for 14 years and never run into the seatbelt thing. But looking back, I'll bet it's never been fully extended either. Hmmm...

OP: I'm with Grizzly, he covered them well. I love my truck (2001, 4X4, 5.2, extended cab) and will keep it around as long as it wants to keep going. Right now it has about 160,000 miles on it, and I expect it'll go at least another 100,000 on this motor. My driver's side seat is "breaking down" a little, so that'll get some attention in the near future.
EDIT: Be patient. The right one will come along...

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/25/20 03:18 PM

Thank you Fat_Mike. I've seen nicer 2wd than 4wd. I'll keep holding out and see what happens.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/25/20 04:14 PM

One more thing in regards to the '01's is that they have all of the mechanical and computer updates from previous years already built into them.

The technical service bulletins are available for earlier models, but it's nice to have it already done at the factory making the '01 a more desirable truck. twocents

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/26/20 04:12 PM

One more thing in regards to the '01's is that they have all of the mechanical and computer updates from previous years already built into them.

The technical service bulletins are available for earlier models, but it's nice to have it already done at the factory making the '01 a more desirable truck. twocents

Thank you Grizzly. That's helpful as well.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/26/20 09:28 PM

From someone looking for a clean 1998 thru 2001 quad cab truck . I can honestly say they go REAL QUICK around here.

I inquired on a red 2001 2500 yesterday. I asked about it an hour after it was listed and he said guy was there paying for it. . Yes, that fast.

I'll consider a 2002 or 2003 4 door truck but I want the 5.9 pushrod engine. Not real interested in a hemi or 4.7 truck

I want to be able to fix ANYTHING that goes wrong with this truck in my garage

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/27/20 04:52 PM

Cummins seem to sell pretty fast and most sought after. I would be looking at a 1/2 ton quad cab application for needs/wants. I had several of the newer trucks. I had 04 4.7 and it was okay. I got lucky and threw the bottom timing chain on startup at around 185k miles. I had owned since it has 21k miles on it but, rust and oil/coolant use was increasing with mileage even with running mainly Mobil 1 synthetic in it since 40k miles. I miss having a truck as a main vehicle.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/29/20 03:02 AM

Here you go, Rusty:

Autotrader

Price seems reasonable, the mileage is reasonable, and no rust.

Attached picture 30.jpg
Attached picture 31.jpg

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 10/29/20 06:00 PM

Thank you Grizzly and even in my favorite color.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 11/05/20 01:17 AM

Fitting 20's is a bit of a process on these 2wd's wink

Attached picture IMG_20201103_134821.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20201103_134932.jpg

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 11/05/20 08:45 PM

Wow that looks like and the color helps.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 11/06/20 02:04 AM

360 auto with 3.55's, it sure gets up and moves compared to the 4wd's. up

Had to clearance the hub and open up the center hole of the wheel with a grinder to make the 4 Gen wheels fit on the front.
Posted By: racerx

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 11/06/20 01:25 PM

360 auto with 3.55's, it sure gets up and moves compared to the 4wd's. up

Had to clearance the hub and open up the center hole of the wheel with a grinder to make the 4 Gen wheels fit on the front.

How does that wheel fit when tuning full left/full right? I have 20's on my Ram and they seems to rub the rear portion of the housing. Also keep in mind when purchase tires all size or not equal 275 verse 275's.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 11/06/20 03:24 PM

You bet, I did read about clearance issues with the stock 4x4 tires.

I went with 55 series 275's and it all clears. It took forever for 55's in the style of wheel I wanted to come up. These are a Dodge rim with Ford Pirelli tires and the balance is spot on. The lower profile looks a lot better on a 2wd.

Now, I'm thinking of lowering it: maybe cut 3/4 ton coils for the front and just remove the overload bar in the back should do it. work

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 11/06/20 04:43 PM

You bet, I did read about clearance issues with the stock 4x4 tires.

I went with 55 series 275's and it all clears. It took forever for 55's in the style of wheel I wanted to come up. These are a Dodge rim with Ford Pirelli tires and the balance is spot on. The lower profile looks a lot better on a 2wd.

Now, I'm thinking of lowering it: maybe cut 3/4 ton coils for the front and just remove the overload bar in the back should do it. work

I would say go for it.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 11/07/20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
Not real interested in a hemi or 4.7 truck

I want to be able to fix ANYTHING that goes wrong with this truck in my garage

Considering the drivability between a 5.9 mag and the 5.7 HEMI.... I’d LEARN how to work on the 5.7! Besides, it’s a basic push rod engine too.

Kind of like my dislike for diesels.... when we moved to western AZ I figured out pretty quick I’d best embrace them laugh2

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 11/07/20 05:16 PM

I considered the HEMI and still do to a point but, it takes more to address a couple of the big issues such as the valve guides and lifter issues. The price of the trucks is higher right out of the gate as well even with high miles. I do like the 2002-2005 body style though.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 11/07/20 05:53 PM

Here's a clean 2000 model. The distance might be a deal breaker though.
https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/ctd/d/miramar-beach-2000-dodge-ram-1500-rwd/7225526094.html

Attached picture 2000 Ram.jpg

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 11/07/20 07:32 PM

Looks like it's gone already.

I see that red one in Texas has been gone for a few days already.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 11/07/20 08:48 PM

Not surprised. Asking price was $3,900 and the interior was immaculate. Has a 5.2 motor with 210,000 miles though, which wouldn't scare me but might others.

Re: 1994-2001 Dodge Ram Questions - 11/08/20 04:17 PM

Yeah, I'm not surprise either. Looks like the other trucks are gone as well. Still deciding on some things but, I'll keep looking. As I say sometimes; right time and right place.
© 2024 Moparts Forums