Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by 340Cuda
Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Anyone here ever built there own engine run in stand? Would be nice to run an engine to test for leaks, or break in a cam before wasting dyno time. post pictures if you have done this.

Thanks.

I have always wanted one and even bought a bell housing and flywheel as a start.

However when I heard Total Seal say that a new engine should be run without a load as little as possible with new rings, it cooled my enthusiasm.

I've heard just the opposite about breaking in a new motor and ring seating and proper ring seal.
I've seen more new engines use oil for awhile that where broken in the car for 20 to 45 minutes with no load than I've seen and owned motors broken in on a engine dyno or out on the road broken in under driven loads breaking in the cam up scope

I read an article from a guy who built and raced cycles. He built two identical engines. One went through a normal break in period then raced for a season. The other raced right out the box full blast. The second always ran faster and at end of season after tear down looked like new, first one had carboned up rings-crankcase and weird wear in the cylinders. He figured the immediate pressure seated the rings better. The old addage on running it hard off the showroom floor proved true.