Moparts

Engine run in stand

Posted By: JERICOGTX

Engine run in stand - 10/15/20 06:25 PM

Anyone here ever built there own engine run in stand? Would be nice to run an engine to test for leaks, or break in a cam before wasting dyno time. post pictures if you have done this.

Thanks.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/15/20 07:15 PM

Yep, built one years ago out of old scrap laying in the dirt by the barn, lol. It's crude as he11, but works great and has had a bunch of different engines on it.
Uses an old cast iron 4 speed bellhousing and flywheel I had laying around. Standard motor mounts.

Attached picture 440-18.jpg
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/15/20 07:53 PM

Made out off some chanel that was laying around. Definitely over kill.[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/15/20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Uses an old cast iron 4 speed bellhousing and flywheel I had laying around. Standard motor mounts.

CHIP,
Do you have a picture of how you supported the rear of the bellhousing?

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/15/20 08:53 PM

Outlaw,
What guts do you have in the trans?
Do you have trans fluid in it?
Posted By: BANDIT

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/15/20 09:10 PM

Built one 10 years ago, been used dozens of times. You will like having one.

Attached picture 520D3351-8AD8-450F-8C37-F473B39B442E.jpeg

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/15/20 09:13 PM

Rear shot.

Attached picture 0A0876D6-3190-48CF-9822-7182BA679193.jpeg
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/15/20 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Anyone here ever built there own engine run in stand? Would be nice to run an engine to test for leaks, or break in a cam before wasting dyno time. post pictures if you have done this.

Thanks.

I have always wanted one and even bought a bell housing and flywheel as a start.

However when I heard Total Seal say that a new engine should be run without a load as little as possible with new rings, it cooled my enthusiasm.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/16/20 12:44 AM

I have one 80% finished. If you lived closer I would sell you mine. Mine is set up to use a Chevy flywheel from a powerglide to Mopar Kit and a starter adapter I bought from a Moparts member that made and sold them

Attached picture F91670C3-17F1-453E-9F1B-9AFE54667B05.jpeg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/16/20 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by 340Cuda

Thanks.

I have always wanted one and even bought a bell housing and flywheel as a start.

However when I heard Total Seal say that a new engine should be run without a load as little as possible with new rings, it cooled my enthusiasm.

I've heard just the opposite about breaking in a new motor and ring seating and proper ring seal.
I've seen more new engines use oil for awhile that where broken in the car for 20 to 45 minutes with no load than I've seen and owned motors broken in on a engine dyno or out on the road broken in under driven loads breaking in the cam up scope

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/16/20 02:37 AM

Here is what I have so far. Got some tubing drops from work. I found the transmission mounting locations for GM, Ford, and Mopar 4 speeds, so any bellhousing will fit. The front motor mounts are removable, and I’ll make different ones that I think will get used. Need to figure out a battery mount location, and what to do for fuel yet.

Attached picture 110EE87B-B6D9-43C5-B64F-86EF3BEDEE27.jpeg
Attached picture 0BA2C0A1-592A-4FA5-ADC6-DB077AB1C305.jpeg
Attached picture 390BC748-39BB-43C2-A800-26E229F816C2.jpeg
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/16/20 10:09 AM

It's a good start Jeff! wave

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/16/20 01:05 PM

You might rethink your radiator mount, especially if you ever haul the thing around. Mine moved around enough to cause radiator damage to one of the tanks. I have since switched to the cradle stock type setup. My fuel cell, pump, and battery are below the radiator and a little forward. With gauges and ignition above them, it makes it somewhat compact. You have a good start there. Jim.

Attached picture 66663575-3E9B-46D7-AD58-06D72B278845.jpeg
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/16/20 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer
It's a good start Jeff! wave

Heck yaa. You will be making noise in no time
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/16/20 01:16 PM

If this will be used in the same space you store you car I would just make a long fuel line and utilize the fuel system from your car.

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/16/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
If this will be used in the same space you store you car I would just make a long fuel line and utilize the fuel system from your car.

I want it to be a self contained unit, so any of my friends locally can use it. HEMI Joel has a complete set of gauges for me, and another friend is donating an older electric fuel pump he doesn’t need. I’m thinking of an aluminum 2 gallon cell, as they are cheap on eBay. I have an old Holley regulator in the trailer, so I think I just need to find a dirt cheap MSD 6A, and a coil.

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/16/20 02:21 PM

Jeff,
What distance between the headers did you use? (yellow arrows)
What car do those headers fit?

Attached picture EngineRunStand_JERICO_GTX-rear2.jpg

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/16/20 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by 440Jim
Jeff,
What distance between the headers did you use? (yellow arrows)
What car do those headers fit?

16 inches. The headers are my old Hooker 5209’s that fit my Road Runner. They are just hanging from the block. If I bolted them to a cylinder head, they would be tipped out at the bottom, quite a bit more.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/17/20 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

Thanks.

I've heard just the opposite about breaking in a new motor and ring seating and proper ring seal.
I've seen more new engines use oil for awhile that where broken in the car for 20 to 45 minutes with no load than I've seen and owned motors broken in on a engine dyno or out on the road broken in under driven loads breaking in the cam up scope

That might apply to older style ring packs maybe? The new thin and light stuff may be different. Total seal probably has a decent idea of what they are talking about? grin
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/17/20 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

Thanks.

I read an article from a guy who built and raced cycles. He built two identical engines. One went through a normal break in period then raced for a season. The other raced right out the box full blast. The second always ran faster and at end of season after tear down looked like new, first one had carboned up rings-crankcase and weird wear in the cylinders. He figured the immediate pressure seated the rings better. The old addage on running it hard off the showroom floor proved true.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/17/20 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
The old addage on running it hard off the showroom floor proved true.

without the standard FT cam break in ? shruggy
beer
Posted By: hemienvy

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/17/20 08:06 PM

Seems like the requirements for ring seating are not the same as for cam break-in.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/18/20 01:38 AM

I worked at my uncles Dodge dealership from 69 to 73 never once did a factory car come in with a wiped cam. I’m preety sure most all wiped cams are on used-rebuilt engines and most likely poor assembly. Knock on wood I’ve yet to wipe one even changing a cam to 3 different engines and put lifters where ever.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/19/20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 440Jim
Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

CHIP,
Do you have a picture of how you supported the rear of the bellhousing?

Jim, no, but I can get you a pic. The bellhousing just butts up to the flat face of the angle iron and I drilled the 4 holes for the transmission mount bolts. Just something to hold up the rear of the whole deal.
Like I said, mine is ugly and crude, but I have basically zero money in it and it works great. I got tired of retorquing heads in the car after a fresh build...that's what led me to build this thing. It's SOOOO much easier now. Nice for when I occasionally build an engine to sell or for someone else.

Re: Engine run in stand - 10/19/20 05:21 PM

I made these adjustable length "arms" to use on a run stand to support the side engine mounts on a variety of engines.
This material is 1/8" wall thickness, so the 3/4 square tube slides into the 1" square tube.
Trying to make this stand adjustable for many types of engines, Chevy, Mopar, etc.

Attached picture Engine_mount_arms_crop.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums