Since the late 80s, it seems to me that they have designed the front ends almost as if they dared you to buy it. Each design tries to out-do the last one from ugly to W-T-F uglier. This isn't an old man talking, this is a reasonable opinion. The 1994 Dodge Ram was not a great design in MY opinion but it sparked a trend of massive grilles, Big Rig inspired, industrial design and utility over beauty. The '94 Ram reinvigorated the Dodge truck sales so despite my opinions, the styling did appeal to a whole lot of people.
The '73-87 GM trucks were iconic. I owned a 1984 C-10 that was a solid and reliable truck that was a nice looking design.
These new GM trucks look like the manufacturers are saying Screw YOU...BUY me!
Sometimes the far out styling grows on you. I immediately dismissed the 1982 Camaro and the 1988 Chevy.GMC trucks. They still don't appeal to me. I never warmed up to the 1994 Ram but I have owned 3 of the 2002-2008 Dodge trucks. The new Ram looks far better than the Ferd and GM trucks but I'm still not getting one despite clicking 352,230 miles on my 2007!