Moparts

A pickup face only a mother could love

Posted By: Neil

A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 12:09 AM

Just sayin,

[Linked Image]
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 12:25 AM

The bad thing is they're even uglier in person !! I was driving through the local Chebby lot a few weeks ago wondering just what were the designers thinking ???
Posted By: 360view

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 12:34 AM

Is the hood air inlet in any manner functional?

The radiator grille area is so large I wonder if there are hidden block offs behind the plastic outer?
Posted By: crowbait

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 12:39 AM

How did they get there from having such a sharp truck just a generation or two ago(2016)?
Posted By: BloFish

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 12:39 AM

Looks ridiculous to me.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by 360view

The radiator grille area is so large I wonder if there are hidden block offs behind the plastic outer?

Not sure on these but LOTS of stuff is equipped with active grill shutters
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by crowbait
How did they get there from having such a sharp truck just a generation or two ago(2016)?

Their previous head of design retired in 2016
Posted By: ns1aar

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 02:15 AM

A pickup face only a mother could love and she threw it out
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 02:27 AM

On the GMC, the hood scoop is functional on the diesels. Probably the same with the Chevy.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 02:36 AM

I can't keep from staring at those mirrors, they're terrible as well.
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 02:37 AM

I really like Chevy pick-ups (sorry). But I have to agree, that is Butt-ugly.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 02:57 AM

So, 40-50 yrs from now, do you think anyone will be excited about finding one of these in a barn?

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 03:02 AM

They are very large trucks. Going to need a big barn to get that critter inside.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 03:17 AM

Detroit has gone grill crazy on the pickups. Each one is bigger than the last one. Not sure why this turned into an arms race but it has.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 06:09 AM

I think all the newer trucks are butt ugly. They must have thought that when they started screwing you over for the 80 grand, they should at least beat the trucks to death with the ugly stick before they rape you for it.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 10:32 AM

It looks like it's already upside down. The whole truck is fugly, the sculpting on the sides and that butt, sheesh.
Posted By: BSharp

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 12:03 PM

Smooth is definitely out of style. It looks like they're going for industrial, with maybe a dash of military. Big, blocky, and modular, aiming themselves at the tough-guy market.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 12:29 PM

If the chrome was gold and the truck black, it would be perfect for Mr T work
Posted By: KGorney

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 12:57 PM

I prefer the metal sidestep on the original prototype to the plastic sidestep of the model pictured.

Attached picture TheHomer.png
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 02:56 PM

Oh yeah, they really hit it out of the Ugly Park with that one rolleyes............and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that. They haven't had anything decent to look at since 1986.

Attached picture 30.jpg
Attached picture 31.jpg
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly

Oh yeah, they really hit it out of the Ugly Park with that one rolleyes............and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that. They haven't had anything decent to look at since 1986.

I loved the look of my 95 Chevy, truck was just a piece of junk tho
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by poorboy
I think all the newer trucks are butt ugly. They must have thought that when they started screwing you over for the 80 grand, they should at least beat the trucks to death with the ugly stick before they rape you for it.

I'm right there with you on that. In my opinion the new Ram sucks too. Obviously it's nowhere near as bad as this Chivy, but Ram replaced a nice-looking truck with one that is "fussy" looking and has an over-complicated design. Sure glad the truck I own is the last truck I plan on buying. up
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 06:03 PM

Since the late 80s, it seems to me that they have designed the front ends almost as if they dared you to buy it. Each design tries to out-do the last one from ugly to W-T-F uglier. This isn't an old man talking, this is a reasonable opinion. The 1994 Dodge Ram was not a great design in MY opinion but it sparked a trend of massive grilles, Big Rig inspired, industrial design and utility over beauty. The '94 Ram reinvigorated the Dodge truck sales so despite my opinions, the styling did appeal to a whole lot of people.
The '73-87 GM trucks were iconic. I owned a 1984 C-10 that was a solid and reliable truck that was a nice looking design.
These new GM trucks look like the manufacturers are saying Screw YOU...BUY me!
Sometimes the far out styling grows on you. I immediately dismissed the 1982 Camaro and the 1988 Chevy.GMC trucks. They still don't appeal to me. I never warmed up to the 1994 Ram but I have owned 3 of the 2002-2008 Dodge trucks. The new Ram looks far better than the Ferd and GM trucks but I'm still not getting one despite clicking 352,230 miles on my 2007!

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 06:33 PM

The '94 to '02 Dodge was the best balance of aero and curves with the appearance of a serious truck. The fourth Gen 1500's (not the 2500's sick) are next up for best-looking trucks.

The 2500's of everything available today is just a truly sad event of having no pride in what you drive. We had all 3 of them ugly things at work last winter and my 2 Gen attracted the most attention.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunner

On the GMC, the hood scoop is functional on the diesels. Probably the same with the Chevy.

I've noticed these scoops as well in the past few years - only on diesels from what I've seen too.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 08:25 PM

Attached picture 120556141_768681480637404_4038058490206239742_n.jpg
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 08:35 PM

In Bob Lutz’s book, he discussed the revolutionary styling of the ‘94 Ram. Whereas the general rule for evaluating new designs was to show them to focus groups and go with what was liked by the largest % of the people in the groups, when they did the new Ram they went a different route by looking for a design that got the biggest reaction and for one that people actually either loved or hated, not just liked. The thought was that a design that a certain number of people loved would strongly motivate them to buy, and with Dodge then being a distant 3rd in the pickup truck market, that was what was needed to get their brand out of the cellar by gaining increased sales.
It was a bold and ingenious concept as it put Dodge in the spotlight and resulted in their truck sales getting up there with GM and Ford, which continues to this day over 25 years later. Who knows if Dodge/Ram trucks would even still be on the market today if they’d gone with more conventional styling instead back in ‘94?
I loved the design myself and decided I would buy one, a ‘95 1500 I bought used in ‘97. I’m in the market now and can live with the new styling, but much prefer the previous look. I’d rather buy a used 2018 if the used market wasn’t so inflated currently.
An engineer colleague of mine said that although not publicized, GM’s final design for the new truck was chosen by a special needs kid as a Make a Wish event. If true, that’s nice and charitable of them but no way to sell trucks!
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
I can't keep from staring at those mirrors, they're terrible as well.

I saw that too. Guys in La, Miss, and Bama call them things bad names. Mostly N-word knockers there are some crude rednecks there. Like you could hit someone with them walking.
Looks like they would fold in. The rednecks and coonass' do get drunk and do hit crap with the bolt-on ones and cave the door skins in $0.02

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/13/20 10:38 PM

Standard operating procedure for Blunder Motors to blame someone else, let alone a special needs Child on their ridiculous design. Wonder who they blamed the aztek on?

Attached picture 30.jpg

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/14/20 11:12 AM

Some magazine should do a fuel economy comparison of those mirrors at a steady 70 mph,
then in the second comparison what replacing the huge stock mirrors with tiny video cameras that have even greater back and side field of view does.

I would guess the difference would be about 1 MPG.

I would guess that if a curious “average Joe” driver coasted that truck down a blacktop highway on a steady 4% grade, the miles per hour “terminal speed” would differ by 1-2 MPH.

Many highways have 4% grades leading down to the bridges across rivers.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/14/20 01:33 PM

Standard operating procedure for Blunder Motors to blame someone else, let alone a special needs Child on their ridiculous design. Wonder who they blamed the aztek on?

In our MBA program, that was a topic of discussion. According to GM, the Aztek program was perfect. They had a cross functional team that was motivated by the rah-rah, and anyone who had criticism was off the team. The project met all the targets that were set. So in one way it was perfect. But the vehicle was a failure because it didn't have the criticism that was needed to steer it to what the market wanted.

T.J.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/14/20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunner

In our MBA program, that was a topic of discussion. According to GM, the Aztek program was perfect. They had a cross functional team that was motivated by the rah-rah, and anyone who had criticism was off the team. The project met all the targets that were set. So in one way it was perfect. But the vehicle was a failure because it didn't have the criticism that was needed to steer it to what the market wanted.

T.J.

The Aztec was a Picasso painting that was morphed into a vehicle.... What a piece of carp styling wise.
Posted By: jcruse64

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/14/20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by KGorney
I prefer the metal sidestep on the original prototype to the plastic sidestep of the model pictured.

I like the (probably unintended) nod to Vic Hickey with those "pocket" bed steps. Just wish they hadn't gone and blown it by turning them into oversized, plastic gee-gaws. Completely ruined them and made the truck look even worse.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/14/20 05:11 PM

I didn't mind the last style of GM nose but the currrent one is down at the bottom of the pile with the Aztek.

And that was the ugly style of box front. The 90s ones looked better but only after they got rid of the chrome and started with the body colored trim.

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/14/20 05:31 PM

Yes, I will give them that, if it's the 350ss/454ss trucks you are talking about.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/14/20 08:48 PM

I think these redesigned Chevies and GMC pickups are hideous looking. I think they modeled them after transformer toys. Maybe they are trying to appeal to the young guys that played with those toys years ago and are now old enough to be in the market for a truck. I'm also very disappointed in the new Ram look. I wish they had just tweaked it a little instead of an all new truck. If you watch the market you will see that the vast majority of the ones selling are the monotone paint look because it tones down all the unattractive styling. The new ones with chrome front ends is just too much (gawdy).
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/14/20 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
They are very large trucks. Going to need a big barn to get that critter inside.

I have an 84 Chevy as my work truck. I was going to move up to a newer model but all the truck beds are narrower now. Taller but narrower.

I can put an B/E body front sub frame in the bed of mine and it will sit on the floor of the bed. Anything newer than my body style and it will have to sit on the bed rails, all of the companies went narrow.

Is this one any wider or just tall and ugly.

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/14/20 10:13 PM

That is interesting. They sure don't look narrower, but they are no doubt way taller.

Best looking GM trucks are the 67-72 and the 89-98. Sized right and basic clean lines.
Posted By: topside

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/14/20 11:52 PM

"Fugly" is a word that comes to mind. The "Transformer" styling does seem to be the thing now, but to my eye it's clutter & nonsense.
Regarding the Aztec debacle, Bob Lutz said the same thing: the fanboys in GM loved it & pushed it through.
For GM trucks, I like the 55-57, 67-68, and the 89-whenever GMT400, the cleanest of all.
I'm still happy with mine; had it since 1994, so it's arguably free now...

Attached picture DuallyLF.jpg
Attached picture DuallyLR.jpg

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/15/20 11:08 AM

If 3D printers would just get a bit bigger table capacity at modest prices I would guess small businesses could sell a lot of replacement grilles and custom front end parts.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/15/20 12:36 PM

Reminds me of this face

Attached picture Pred.jpg
Posted By: BSharp

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/15/20 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by hemi70se
I think they modeled them after transformer toys. Maybe they are trying to appeal to the young guys that played with those toys years ago and are now old enough to be in the market for a truck.

That's not a terrible theory.
Posted By: kevin69bman

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/16/20 02:22 AM

Wait till u crack it up 6G latter
Posted By: Not_A_Duster

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/16/20 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by BSharp
Originally Posted by hemi70se
I think they modeled them after transformer toys. Maybe they are trying to appeal to the young guys that played with those toys years ago and are now old enough to be in the market for a truck.

That's not a terrible theory.

Probably not far from the truth....I’m sure most current automotive stylists/designers would fall into that demographic as well.

My young (mid 30s) business partner has said that most new cars & trucks look like bad Japanese anime to her.
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/16/20 06:58 PM

The only thing worse then seeing these abominations on the computer..is seeing these trucks in person!!lol!
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/16/20 06:59 PM

Ya know now that you mentioned The Predator..i can see it! drive
Posted By: Ashsdad

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/19/20 01:50 AM

I had thought about replacing my 2002 GMT800 that I have had since new, but can't wrap my head around any of the new trucks, let alone the prices! To duplicate what I have would easily be in the $70k range. Add in the ugly factor, and I will live with the rust a little longer.

Re: A pickup face only a mother could love - 10/19/20 10:14 AM

So what does the engine compartment look like, owner maintenance wIse?
© 2024 Moparts Forums