Originally Posted by RATTRAP
Originally Posted by Dragula
I had the 275 pump and filter combo in the car for 2-3 years and worked well. Was worried we were at the pumps limit and switched to a 500 pump filter combo to allow us to upgrade a few things for more power. Worked all last year, and this year until this past weekend. It was too hot to touch, it was siezed, and probably fried the new relay, and most of all, it let the fuel out, which means it ate the seal, which really concerns me the most. Never had a pump fail and let all the fuel out before. To be fair, I got this pump used from a guy and my 275 I bought new. So I have no idea how old it really is.

I pulled it out of the car yesterday, the filter had some fuel cell shavings in it and some other small crap, probably from when I up-sized the supply hose and fitting and drilled out the fuel cell. The pump I did not pull apart yet. Which way is the best way, take the cover plate off the bottom, or the two long screws that go thru the motor?

I noticed in the diagram posted above it shows to use two relay's, which I did not do. I used a single 30-40 amp one, and the pump is only supposed to draw 12amps, so I figured that should be plenty. It worked this long that way....And mind you, I had to put a pretty good regulator in the car with this unit. It would push right past the old one in the car. I put an Aeromotive Prostock regulator in the car when I upgraded to this big pump.

Most Pumps cannot be deadheaded.
Pumps are made to run full speed with a regulator and a large return line back to the tank.

The pumps mentioned have a built in bypass/return on them.