Moparts

Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps

Posted By: Dragula

Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/10/20 10:09 PM

I am depressed. Last outing of the season, we get one time trail and then go right to first round.....I get my time trial, ran what I thought it would, line up for 1st round, and in the stage lanes I here what sounded like a fuse pop and then everything went south......

My Magnafuel pump split in half and had fuel poring out of it between the motor and the body. To make matters worse, it was wicked hot.....I think it killed a bearing and then seized. Won't know till I pull it, but it was hot as hell and fuel pouring out. Its the one with the built in filter, so I am very surprised....but also, not very happy.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/10/20 10:23 PM

Well, i’m sorry to hear about that. Especially during a round....but thankfully nothing else happened. That’s one of the things i worry about most. Fuel leak, causing a fire. I would also be pissed about a failure like that.

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/10/20 11:30 PM

I noticed on there website these pumps are not for continuous duty, 1hr max, and I think, just like the cheap ignition system I had in the car, it cannot take the number of rounds I run this car or it builds too much heat...Two weeks ago, I ran three races, one on Friday night where I went four rounds, and two the next day going rounds and making it to the finals in one of those for runner up...I like to run the car, and it has to idle a little to get heat in it this time of year, so I would bet its just the duty cycle that killed it. Somtimes i even double enter the car, so I need somthing that keeps up with us bracket racers....Maybe this pump was a bad choice for me....Their 275 ran fine for me for years, but we were right at its limit hp wise....
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/10/20 11:39 PM

Been more tales of woe on here regards Magnafuel pumps going bad than Carter has liver pills.
Thankfully, i never had more than 9 sec N/A cars that got plenty of fuel with a Holley black, and didnt need to waste money on high priced stuff like you are dealing with.
Feel sorry that happened to you.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/10/20 11:46 PM

I am glad nothing got burned and you were not far from a ride[trailer]Get a Weldon if you can now.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/10/20 11:53 PM

Before I bought my Magnafuel 275 I called their tech department, after explaining what the application was (street/strip) I was told it would work great. It worked great for a couple years then it locked up at about 400' into a 1/8 mile pass. The seal had been leaking bottom bearing seized up, I completely rebuilt it and it started leaking again in about six months, it now occupies a spot on a shelf. The bearings are china made and metric sized and Magnafuel didn't stock them. When I pressed the tech about the country of origin he told me the "pumps" are made in the U.S. but the motors come from another source and he didn't know where they were made. I do, china, nothing else from Magnafuel for me.

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/10/20 11:56 PM

If I add up today's mess, $45 entry fee, $20 food, and $30 in race gas on the ground wasted, and then the cost to get there 1/4 tank diesel, and what ever the fuel pump rebuild costs...I would bet it was all the racing I did the other week that got it to fail this week...Luckily, no fire....That thing was hot! I think its just the duty cycle, its not made for what we do with it.

The night I won, back on fathers day weekend, I went 5-6 rounds plus the two time trails, and the last run killed the ignition...Would not have made another run if I had tried....I think when the rounds start coming, they tend to be like round robin at the end...This puts a good bit of abuse on stuff...

I personally like the A1000 pumps for a lot of reasons. If I have to switch, it changes my whole fuel system and everything has to be re-done.

And tomorrow, I think I am ordering a Bulldog block.....I think we want to go faster...Seems his stuff is in some pretty high horse power cars now. Looking at a low deck 540 and maybe boost.....but that is another conversation.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 12:04 AM

Keep mounting your pumps sideways and this will continue to happen. BG400 pump user here, mounted upright, fuel bypass from pump to top of fuel cell with a homemade pipe dumping near the bottom of my fuel cell. Ohhh ya I run alcohol too.
Posted By: birdtracker

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 12:04 AM

do you have yours wired into a relay? Birdtracker
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dragula
If I add up today's mess, $45 entry fee, $20 food, and $30 in race gas on the ground wasted, and then the cost to get there 1/4 tank diesel, and what ever the fuel pump rebuild costs...I would bet it was all the racing I did the other week that got it to fail this week...Luckily, no fire....That thing was hot! I think its just the duty cycle, its not made for what we do with it.

The night I won, back on fathers day weekend, I went 5-6 rounds plus the two time trails, and the last run killed the ignition...Would not have made another run if I had tried....I think when the rounds start coming, they tend to be like round robin at the end...This puts a good bit of abuse on stuff...

I personally like the A1000 pumps for a lot of reasons. If I have to switch, it changes my whole fuel system and everything has to be re-done.

And tomorrow, I think I am ordering a Bulldog block.....I think we want to go faster...Seems his stuff is in some pretty high horse power cars now. Looking at a low deck 540 and maybe boost.....but that is another conversation.

That isnt that many rounds to where anyone should have problems.
Heck, i made 25 passes at the Moparty event In Bowling Green several weeks ago. I was in two classes, and they were consecutive. Had 8 passes made, 4 sets of back to back, before 1 in the afternoon, same the next day, except 10, instead of 8. Those were just time trials but each two laps were run within 10 minutes of each other, each day.
Most races around here are 8 rounds with two time trials. Every race everywhere hot laps after the third or fourth round, unless its a huge field.

If your having issues hot lapping in 4 or 5 round races, i would be looking into why. That wouldn't be normal

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by birdtracker

Yes, brand new relay after my "incident" a few weeks ago when I burned a lot of my wiring down to the ground in the trunk. I replaced pretty much everything, including the fuel pump relay and all the wiring because the alternator wire that fried, melted some of those wires because of proximity. Pump was not on at the time.

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Keep mounting your pumps sideways and this will continue to happen. BG400 pump user here, mounted upright, fuel bypass from pump to top of fuel cell with a homemade pipe dumping near the bottom of my fuel cell. Ohhh ya I run alcohol too.

What do you mean, sideways?

Attached picture KIMG0277.JPG

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by birdtracker

Yes, brand new relay after my "incident" a few weeks ago when I burned a lot of my wiring down to the ground in the trunk. I replaced pretty much everything, including the fuel pump relay and all the wiring because the alternator wire that fried, melted some of those wires because of proximity. Pump was not on at the time.

What do you mean, sideways?
m

Sorry I meant this in general as I see it all the time. Seal leaks and takes out the motor.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 01:58 AM

A return from the regulator would probably cure this issue. Sorry for the lost time and agony!

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 03:13 AM

I laid the pump down because Magnafuels tech told me it could be mounted upside down if needed. The way the pump is made if the seal goes out the bottom bearing gets washed out unless you catch it quick, no matter how it's mounted. Also there is a weep slot machined into the pump housing, unless the pump is mounted upside down or the weep hole up fuel wont make it to the armature.
Posted By: dart games

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 08:03 AM

i have a product engineering pump on mine,same as magna flow,same problem,seal went bad up in front of bearing,locked up the bearing,fuel filled the motor,ordered parts from them,he told me magna flow pumps is made in china,but down the road ill be going to a a1000,keep in mine i do run e-85
Posted By: dvw

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 11:52 AM

I don't know if the Magna Flow and Performance Engineering are the same. I do know that the Performance Engineering pump on mine has ben flawless for 8 years. Tech support from them is top notch as well.
Doug

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 01:20 PM

Quick diagram

Attached picture 2A11F233-5A81-4983-954C-48C80A2CFEE2.png
Posted By: plycuda

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 03:04 PM

whats funny when i talked to them many years ago they told me drive it every day you wont hurt it. i have one on each car with many hours and street miles. i did put a new bearing and seal in one.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
A return from the regulator would probably cure this issue. Sorry for the lost time and agony!

How would that have an impact? It's probably easier on the pump to return that shorter distance.

This wasn't a duty cycle issue, hundreds of racers put these pumps through double.or triple entry weekends without issue. I've had weekends where I entered every class I could and made over 18hits.

How old was the pump?
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 04:39 PM

BG pumps were the "best" until they started to burn up quickly. Those with failures usually didn't read the instructions carefully. BG was very specific about the cell to pump line,5/8", and there must be enough difference in height between sump and pump so gravity always kept the pump wet. With little fuel in the cell, whether you forgot to check the fuel level between rounds or pumped the cell dry for winterization, that will quickly kill the pump. The fuel is the lubricant. When the pick up is uncovered for any reason, that starvation, no matter how small, starts the failure process. My Magna Fuel pump just started leaking at the track. Thought that it was just the line or fitting. Made a few more passes and the fuel pressure bounced inconsistently. Call it quits for the day. Sent the pump to MF and the washers, seals and bearings were shot. I was asked if the pump ran dry. I happened only once. Never again.
Posted By: hemienvy

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 04:43 PM

Anyone know which pumps maybe have sealed bearings and aren't so touchy
about running conditions ?
Aeromotive ?
Posted By: tex013

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 09:07 PM

Aeromotive or Weldon would seem best for constant duty .
I use the Aeromotive A750 , 1st ran for 5 or 7 years daily etc then ate itself up . I have another in it now , i have a spare Holley black cant justify the cost of a spare Aeromotive ,both are set up to interchange. I would not hesitate Weldon plus Weldon are happy to pull dont require mount below fuel level . At least the model i looked at though they say no ethanol . Not a problem for me .
I know a few guys running the A1000 no problems .
The Aeromotive run the motor in the fuel for cooling . But for parts repair must go back to Aeromotive . Thats not so good for me , Weldon you can buy the parts .

Tex
Posted By: racerx

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/11/20 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by 69b1dart
i have a product engineering pump on mine,same as magna flow,same problem,seal went bad up in front of bearing,locked up the bearing,fuel filled the motor,ordered parts from them,he told me magna flow pumps is made in china,but down the road ill be going to a a1000,keep in mine i do run e-85

Been running the A-1000 with e-85 for bout 15 years now no problem so far up
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/12/20 12:42 PM

Sorry to hear this Dragula! That's a tough way to end the season.

FWIW...My Aeromotive A1000 pump has been on my cuda since 2010 and has been flawless.
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/12/20 12:59 PM

MY magnafuel pump armature fell apart in the burnout, 2 seasons old 8 sec car, had a holley black in trailer ran fine!

Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/12/20 01:10 PM

Hmmm... conversation makes me think of the Holley Volumax pump on the Duster. Been under there since the late 90’s. No longer available so I’ll be in for a treat when it dies.
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/12/20 01:12 PM

About 3 weeks ago, at the bracket finals. My BG 400 fuel pump quit. Seized up, melted relay. Took it apart, lower bearing seized up. Was in the car for 16 years, replaced lower seal 2 years ago. Hour meter on car showed around 345 hours. I replaced it with a Magna Fuel Pro Star 500. I hope that I get as much life out of it, as I did with the BG 400.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/12/20 01:58 PM

I run a Product Engineering pump many years never a problem, I sent it back two years ago for a rebuild good people to deal with.... Dartsport540 sorry to see you break the rear at MG hope its not to serious..I was watching on Motormania TV I have a few friends that were there racing.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/12/20 03:51 PM

I've had a Magnafuel pump now for 17 years. I bought it used, so who knows how old it actually is? Only thing I've had to do with it, was replace a shaft seal. I now carry a spare seal in my trailer.

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/12/20 04:25 PM

I had the 275 pump and filter combo in the car for 2-3 years and worked well. Was worried we were at the pumps limit and switched to a 500 pump filter combo to allow us to upgrade a few things for more power. Worked all last year, and this year until this past weekend. It was too hot to touch, it was siezed, and probably fried the new relay, and most of all, it let the fuel out, which means it ate the seal, which really concerns me the most. Never had a pump fail and let all the fuel out before. To be fair, I got this pump used from a guy and my 275 I bought new. So I have no idea how old it really is.

I pulled it out of the car yesterday, the filter had some fuel cell shavings in it and some other small crap, probably from when I up-sized the supply hose and fitting and drilled out the fuel cell. The pump I did not pull apart yet. Which way is the best way, take the cover plate off the bottom, or the two long screws that go thru the motor?

I noticed in the diagram posted above it shows to use two relay's, which I did not do. I used a single 30-40 amp one, and the pump is only supposed to draw 12amps, so I figured that should be plenty. It worked this long that way....And mind you, I had to put a pretty good regulator in the car with this unit. It would push right past the old one in the car. I put an Aeromotive Prostock regulator in the car when I upgraded to this big pump.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/12/20 04:35 PM

Fuel pumps can be fickle. I used Holley blue pumps from 1978 to 1994. I could get 1 year out of a new pump, then it would leak out of the vent. I would rebuild them with a Holley service housing for another year. After that, the shaft was done, and into the junk pump pile. I went to the step child BG400, in 1995. It was flawless until 2014. I rebuilt it with a new lower hsg, bearings and seal. It leaked after 1 year. I now have an Aeromotive 11203, to install. Time will tell.
Posted By: RATTRAP

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/12/20 04:48 PM

I had the 275 pump and filter combo in the car for 2-3 years and worked well. Was worried we were at the pumps limit and switched to a 500 pump filter combo to allow us to upgrade a few things for more power. Worked all last year, and this year until this past weekend. It was too hot to touch, it was siezed, and probably fried the new relay, and most of all, it let the fuel out, which means it ate the seal, which really concerns me the most. Never had a pump fail and let all the fuel out before. To be fair, I got this pump used from a guy and my 275 I bought new. So I have no idea how old it really is.

I pulled it out of the car yesterday, the filter had some fuel cell shavings in it and some other small crap, probably from when I up-sized the supply hose and fitting and drilled out the fuel cell. The pump I did not pull apart yet. Which way is the best way, take the cover plate off the bottom, or the two long screws that go thru the motor?

I noticed in the diagram posted above it shows to use two relay's, which I did not do. I used a single 30-40 amp one, and the pump is only supposed to draw 12amps, so I figured that should be plenty. It worked this long that way....And mind you, I had to put a pretty good regulator in the car with this unit. It would push right past the old one in the car. I put an Aeromotive Prostock regulator in the car when I upgraded to this big pump.

Most Pumps cannot be deadheaded.
Pumps are made to run full speed with a regulator and a large return line back to the tank.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/12/20 04:54 PM

Dragula...we run the Aeromotive A2000 pump on the Camaro and it's been great for years. Might consider one of those.

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/12/20 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by RATTRAP

Most Pumps cannot be deadheaded.
Pumps are made to run full speed with a regulator and a large return line back to the tank.

The pumps mentioned have a built in bypass/return on them.

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/12/20 06:19 PM

Mine are returned, the regulator is built right into the pump after the filter and then another regulator up front....The old regulator up front would hold the pressure back and had to get switched out.

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Dragula...we run the Aeromotive A2000 pump on the Camaro and it's been great for years. Might consider one of those.

If I change, I am going back to an Aeromotive pump. I really like them. My preference is towards another A1000 pump......Only 8amp draw carb or efi, and never had a failure like this one.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/13/20 12:30 AM

Another vote for Aeromotive pumps.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/13/20 02:11 PM

What size line and fitting do you have coming out of that pump? A 500 moves a lot of fuel, and it looks like you may be squeezing into a -8?

What fuel?

Is there any guard to keep it from getting hit with water, rubber, or rocks during a burnout? Looks exposed.

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/13/20 04:33 PM

Pump is installed per their requirements....The infeed line is AN12 I believe. out line should be AN10 and then from the regulator its AN08. Return line is either AN10 or AN-8....
Posted By: moparx

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/13/20 05:40 PM

i have an aeromotive 340 pump i plan to install in the tank of my charger.
i plan on using the 3/8" line that's there [not much hp] and running a 1/2" return.
electrically, i plan on using heavy gauge wire and a relay, but i don't understand why the magnafuel pump requires a double relay. shruggy
can anyone explain ? TIA.
beer
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/13/20 06:02 PM

I think a lot of people get wrapped up in the bling of all these big fancy pumps. I am fuel injected but my pumps could be used with a carb regulator. I run two Walboro 255LPH pumps, one of them will support 600HP at the tires and I run two for redundancy and to make sure I always have enough fuel(they are staged). They are $120 each. I have had one die on the road but I believe it got trash in it, I live dangerously with no pre filters. I know someone who was running four of them on a 7 second Dart. They are simple, cheap, and reliable.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/13/20 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
i have an aeromotive 340 pump i plan to install in the tank of my charger.
i plan on using the 3/8" line that's there [not much hp] and running a 1/2" return.
electrically, i plan on using heavy gauge wire and a relay, but i don't understand why the magnafuel pump requires a double relay. shruggy
can anyone explain ? TIA.
beer

Its redundant.....not necessary
Typical Moparts...SMH people love to bash on here

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/13/20 09:34 PM

For the third time, the pump was not dead headed....
Posted By: BANDIT

Re: Spoke too soon about MAgnafuel Pumps - 10/16/20 12:01 AM

I must live right, I have a 500 mounted vertically in pipe car that is 8 to 10 years old. Took it apart 2 months ago because of a pinched inlet hose, looked fine sounds fine. Also have a 500 mounted horizontal in my door car that is 6 years old, put a seal in once. I do make sure my regulated bypass is at 26-28# and every fall I drain all the fuel (gasoline), then spray gobs of WD-40 into it. I do always carry a spare, that’s probly why mine never quits. Jim
© 2024 Moparts Forums