Originally Posted by hp383
Just got a letter today, stating that the County Assessor or a company contracted by them will be going door to door next month. They are saying they will be entering yards to take measurements, of any buildings, lot size, and take photos of the buildings. Also they will need access to the interior of all homes and buildings to again take measurements and photos.

The letter also states that they understand with the current COVID situation that the dwelling resident may be concerned, but not to worry because the individuals who do the documentation work will be wearing masks.

I have no desire to allow anyone into my home or garage to assess anything. Not because I am hiding a newly renovated home and garage (In fact it is quite the opposite, there have been no interior upgrades since sometime in the late 60's I would estimate by the wallpaper, fixtures, and linoleum in place. I am not overly concerned about the COVID stuff. I just don't want anyone in my home that I do not know.

Am I being too critical about this? How many of you would allow strangers in to measure and photograph your home?

There is no state law stating that I have to allow these people into my home. I plan to politely refuse them entry.

Seems odd since assessments are based on livable square footage. Unless they can show you a lawful reason for entering your house tell them to pound sand.

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln