Originally Posted by 440Jim
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
I shimmed a pair of stock rollers solid then shimmed under the pedestal to get zero lash. This also told me what the preload on the lifter would be. It' a tad light at .048 and .043. Hughes says .080 on these lifters so longer pushrods may be needed.
And yes, I had all the plugs out so I could feel it better.
Wow, removed lifters and shimmed, removed rockers and shimmed, etc.
I would have driven to work and back to get the dial indicator. The time spent taking the motor apart and putting it back to together correctly is worth considering.

That said, you are close and should be OK, just don't float the valves with RPM.

Lol, it was already apart except I had already bolted the heads back on thinking I was going to use a smaller cam, but the bigger cam showed up Friday and the smaller one did not and probably won't until Tuesday or Wednesday. I really needed to get this truck running so I figured I'd give it a try. Didn't really have anything better to do and the drive to work is excruciating even at 4 in the morning so...But it runs great, I can't complain, but probably will anyway. laugh2

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.