Originally Posted by hooziewhatsit
How does this little controller interact with the glow plugs? It sounds like the glow plug relay/light are completely separate from it? Is this box supposed to prevent cranking unless the glow plugs are warm?

Is this box big enough to hold a relay? If you're only getting 5v out, I would assume that it's bad...

the box only measures 1 1/4" wide x 1 1/2" long x 1/2" thick [not counting the area for the plug. it also has some kind of potting material on the back, sort of rubbery consistency, or i would have taken it apart by now to see what's inside.
the tractor has no computer that i know of, looking at the wiring diagrams i have.
as to how it interacts with the glow plug relay, that relay supplies the two outer [top row] terminals with battery voltage at all times [in both run and start].
in the start position, at anytime, the center terminal [going to the starter solenoid] you can get a voltage reading regardless if the glow plugs are warmed up or not. this voltage is enough to kick the starter drive gear toward the flywheel, but not enough to get the starter motor operating. yet when you apply battery voltage to the center terminal, the starter motor works as it should !
there are no other wiring sources connected to either the glow plug relay or the timer gizmo that i can see from the diagrams.

i'll have to look closely at the clutch/brake switch the next time i get out there.

this gotta be something simple. i just have to find it. runaway biggrin
beer