Originally Posted by Dave_J
Texas Backroader, what is your budget?

The 318 is a good platform to start with. Does it need rebuilding at 100,000 miles? This is where you have to ask your self, if it needs rebuilding and if it will need new pistons, the machine work is not cheap.
Many engine shops in Texas can make you a drop in crate motor that will be about the same as a rebuild but will maybe cost a bit more, but they do the work.

Getting a used Hemi or a V10 will also require you to rewire the truck with a computer control and all its sensors, fuel tank and fuel lines. You will not be able to use your 4 speed so get the trans that goes with this Hemi or V10. Your stock dash will not work with them so kobble up the dash too. You may get most of these items with a wrecked Dodge truck.
And making motor and transmission mounts to fit. Then the front suspension would need boosting for the weight of the V10.... Lots of work. But it will run real well.

I think it will need rebuilt. At a minimum, I'll probably freshen everything up (crank bearings, cam, pistons, gaskets, and it will likely need bored). I haven't priced machine work, (correct me if I'm wrong) I assume about 500-1,000. I always keep a millage book, and over the past 90,000 miles, it has dropped about a mpg. I used to get a 12.1ish per tank on a good day, with most tanks in the mid/low 11s. In the past 10,000, I have noticed a sharp drop. Now I make 11 on a good day.

For budget, I'd prefer not to exceed 4,000 and I won't exceed 5,500. I generally don't want to do a lot of pulling/reinstalling. So, I want to redo the bottom end all at once. I might purchase a block with heads/crank for no more than $400 and build it up so that my truck isn't out of commission very long. I am a little sentimental, so I was set on a 318 because it would be/look like the original. I'm just starting to consider a 360 Magnum lower end because it seems like it could be more financially feasible to gain some power and keep/gain torque for a heavy vehicle. Even if I do a Magnum though, I will probably buy a timing cover from Hughes to use my LA belt system and add a carb compatible intake to try and clone the hopped LA look. In the end, I might save money because I would inherit the Magnum heads. Plus, (correct me if i'm wrong) good roller magnum rockers are a little cheaper (370 for Crane) but the stock ones probably wouldn't need replaced. The cheapest good review roller rockers I found for my 318 (basically everything not Speedmaster) were over 550. So + 400 for motor + 150 more for hydraulic roller lifters + 60 for the LA timing cover + 30 for the cam snout + 20 more for the Magnum Air Gap than the LA one - 550 for the rockers - 750/1250 (or more) for heads = about $1,000 savings in favor of the Magnum if I don't replace the rockers. Although, the Magnum heads could be cracked. So, some of that money would go to the machine shop. Decisions decisions

I like to work with my hands and have always wanted to build an engine, which is why I haven't really considered a crate engine. This is the last summer before I graduate, so I am kind of hoping I can have some fun building it with my dad before I commission. When which, I'll only have the time to tinker with it between deployments.

Thanks for the responses everyone!!!