Originally Posted by Texas Backroader
[quote=Dave_J] I could keep my 318 for a light Duster or something someday later. After pricing 5.9s on FB marketplace, there's like 3 of them within 200 miles from me for 400 bucks. Would my fuel economy go down with the bigger Magnum? If I hopped it up a little, or decided to put a carb on a Magnum, would I run into the same octane/detonation problem?

I really appreciate y'all's input. You have saved me from putting together a motor for the wrong application.

Oh, you're welcome, glad I could help! up

In a 5600 pound 4x4 QuadCab I'm getting around 17mpg with my 360 Magnum at 60mph and no wind. I'm turning 285/70/17's which is the same as a 33 inch (and they are heavy, and yes, they suck the power out of it) with factory 4.10's and 46re overdrive. The only tricks I've done is electric fan, no catalytic convertor (huge difference) and true dual exhaust. The 360 lasts forever too, mine has 313,000 miles and hasn't been touched.

If that's your First Gen in your signature you are referring to, you should get 1 to 2mpg better than Me. You are just about a thousand pounds lighter.

With all the money you save from aluminum heads, stroker cranks, intake manifold, headers, 4bbl carb suggested above (about $3500.00, great job as usual on the Truck advising, Idiots tonguue), you will have money left over for a NV3500 transmission.

I did have another thought after I posted my original response: from time to time I see complete V10's with transmissions for around $1500.00. It's something for you to consider, because they are a heck of an engine, make torque for days, and last a lot of miles. My Family has owned a V10 and I can't say enough good things about them. Have money set aside for speeding tickets. grin Fuel mileage-wise they are decent on the highway (15 to 16mpg) but are heavy in town and winter driving.

IMG_20171015_150138.jpg

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".