Hello everyone, I am planning out a 318 build. I am going around and around on the heads though. All I know, is that I want to find a set that use the LA style rocker shafts.

I have looked at the Edelbrock RPMs, but some threads seem to indicate that those aren't good for torque.

I have looked looked into the Promaxx heads. There just isn't much info out there because I think they are a new development. Do y'all know if these are reliable?

I've heard some good things about Sidewinders, but there does not seem to be much info out there for my application.

Trick-flow heads are a little pricey for what I want to do.

There is some good info on Mopar Commando W2 heads, but I have read that you need to spend about a grand at the shop to get them to perform well at all.

My favorite are currently the Indy LA-X heads. They seem affordable, and can be customized with varying levels of machine work straight from the factory. However, I think I saw somewhere that they need special 1 7/8 OD headers. Is this true? I prefer to spend less than $600.00 on headers. My truck is 4WD, so header choices are limited anyway.

My truck is heavy with the 4WD and long bed. It has the four speed manual tranny. I'm not sure what the rear end gear size is; but it rolls at about 3000 rpms at 75 MPH. Right now it has 31 inch tires (I might put 33s on it in the future) so torque is one of my big goals. Right now I am getting 11 mpg. If I could get close to 14 or better, I would be happy. Also, shooting for over 300 hp. 330 would make me happy and 350 would = really happy. That being said, streetable torque and at least 13 mpg are my top priorities.

So far I am looking to use my stock crank, KB 167 flat top pistons, Scat I beam rods, COMP Pro Magnum roller rockers, Summit 6901 camshaft and an Edelbrock Air Gap intake manifold. Any of those items could change, but so far my research (this is my first build) has shown that those components would equal a decent combination.

What do y'all think? What do you suggest on the cylinder heads for my application. I am pretty set on using my 318 block and an LA style rocker shaft style set of heads with a flat tappet cam. Besides that though, I am open to suggestions. Like I say, this is my first build, so I really don't know what I am doing. I appreciate any responses, feedback and criticisms in advance. Thank You!!!

81 Dodge W250 stepside with a 318 and 4 on the floor.