With the gear installed next came the steering column modifications and test fit. When you order the kit you will be asked you are using a column from a power steering or manual steering car. If you are using a PS column you will not require any modifications to the mast but will need to extend the steering shaft with an extension which will be included in the kit.

If you are using a manual steering column (like me) you will cut the steering shaft off the manual steering gear which is more than long enough without a shaft extension. You will have to cut the end from the column mast and replace it with the extension provided (you will not need the column extension if you have a PS column) . With the tube extension properly measured and mounted it is almost identical to a power steering column.

The instructions and illustrations provided with the kit for measuring and cutting the column and shaft are pretty comprehensive and doing the modifications was pretty simple.

This shows the piece I had to cut off the manual steering column and the column with the extension installed. Also pictured is the shaft I cut off the manual steering gear with the U Joint provided with the kit temporarily installed. For reference the bottom shaft is from a Power Steering column.

PS 7.jpg

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears)