Originally Posted by merpar
Torque on rod bolts need to be consistent. Do every bolt the same. First torque each rod in a soft face jaws vise. Torque each bolt at least 3 times to torque specs, using the proper lube. Make sure to put lube on the threads but also on the mating faces of the bolt face and the rod surface it mates to. Carefully doing each bolt the same. Then if using stretch method torque each bolt to stretch spec. and record torque reading. Install at same torque and check stretch. Myself I'm an old timer and only use the torque. If you do also, just make sure of using lube on all mating surfaces and torque several times before install. And Good Luck

I have to disagree with this method. I tried it and the it often requires a different amount of torque to get the ideal stretch. Friction is a huge issue. Especially when trying to sneak up on stretch. getting the bolt/nut moving again once the torque is over 70 takes a good deal of effort, well over the number you started with. If the torque gets it to .006" stretch. Then try to get it to .0065", not easy.
Doug