Originally Posted by PLATINUM6BBL
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Looking at my AAA maps of AZ, NV and OR I would go from Prescott north west on AZ Hwy69 to #89 and then north to I40 and then west to Kingman, AZ and then take AZ Hwy 93 north into Las Vegas ,NV to Hwy 95 and take that north to Fallon, NV, I would take NV #50 west to I 80 and take it into Reno NV to Hwy395 , go north on 395 to Susanville, CA . There are two ways from there to get into Oregon, one is take CA 139 north to Klamath Falls, OR and then north on OR Hwy 97 or go west out of Susanville to CA#89 and take it north to ! 5 and take it north up to Eugene, OR and take Hwy99W to Hwy 20 and take it west to Newport.
If they are going into Klamath Falls from Susanville, CA , take OR Hwy 97out of Klamath Falls north to OR #58, take it into Eugene and then take Hwy 99W up to Hwy 20 west into Newport scope This is the scenic route with less traffic and stops also work
IHTHs thumbs
EDITED,: Caution them on NOT USING there smart phone GPS based navigation for short cuts tsk, especially on this trip twocents
My grandson drove form Florida to here in Bend,OR, he called me from American falls, ID and ask me how to get from I84 to Bend, I gave him instruction exact instructions from Burns, OR when he drove West on OR Hwy 20 from Burns to the east side of Bend. He ended up using his phone directions about 8 mile east of town at night and ended up on a dirt road which did ended up getting him to a paved road in Bend. it was in the late spring and there was no wet or bad roads he had to drive on, we have had several out of state people get lost and one died form getting stuck in the mountains in a snow bank and tried to walk out, DON'T DO THAT tsk No short cuts tsk twocents Stay on the pavement thumbs

Thank you.
For now we are going to have them stay in Prescott or if they have to they'll fly to Portland for his parents to pick them up.

Having traveled that route many times winter in the Nevada outback is unpredictable. I always avoid it in the winter. Ok in fair weather if you like the scenery. This time of the year it’s better to go the western route. Take the 17 north to Flagstaff then west on I-4o to Barstow where you hit the I-15. I-15 for a few miles out of Barstow then hit the CA-58 west to Bakersfield. CA-58 takes you west driving by Edwards AFB, California City. You leave the desert into the mountains driving through Tehacapi. Hit Bakersfield then take the 99 north to just outside of Manteca, CA

Just outside of Manteca, Ca take the cutoff toward San Francisco. That will take you to I-5. From there stay on I-5 NORTH through Oregon. From there you can pick the route for your final destination.

Overall, well traveled road, Freeway most of the way. Plenty of places that are safe to stop at. Yes, you go through California however if you breakdown or have other problems there’s good cell reception.

Last edited by dart4forte; 03/20/20 09:13 PM.

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln