Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Electronic is usually pretty reliable, but it is a nightmare to diagnose when it goes haywire. For a 2000 mile per year car, that is kept under 6000ish rpm, you can't beat points for rock simple reliability and maintainability/fixability. In my experience, a dual point car fires off way quicker than electronic ign. Just turn the key and it is instantly running on the next available TDC. MSD takes a turn or 2 of the motor.

Points with an almost totally dead battery will fire by bump starting the car (Stick or old TF with rear clutch)

The ART of setting dwell on Dual points is a skill I mastered. But like said, wear and spring pressure if going above 5,000 are big issues. And WHERE are you getting GOOD point sets now days??? $$$ last time I looked.

Some where in an 'OLY' beer box I have the used but rebuilt bushings 273's Prestolite Dual point Dizzy and maybe 10 sets of points and condensors. Have not seen that box in 20 years so it may have grown feet like lots of my old DC parts. frown

Retired, US ARMY 1973-1994
ASE mechanic, Electrical 1994-1997
Retired GTE/VERIZON/FRONTIER 1997-2015

Posting cheap tech help (CRAP) here since Nov 97, 1000's of posts, some may be good.

03 Suzuki Burgman 650(Burger King) Scooter
65 Formula S Cuda
78 Little Red Express Truck
98 Buick Regal (wifes car)