Bought my racecar in the mid-'90s after seeing its ad in Dragster - it was in MD, I was in CA. Long conversation with owner, who spoke knowledgeably and passed the interview.
Drove out there & it was exactly what I'd expected from our conversation.
In fact, better than expected, due to an offhand comment made after purchase (see sig pic).

My Hemi car was bought in person in the '80s; when I came back (400 miles) to get it, some of the Day2 parts had been removed, but he'd gotten it running & driving, and I drove it home.
Basically a wash on that, and it was a good deal. Heck, 35 years later, it was a great deal !

Most recent car purchase, I couldn't inspect personally; had several detailed phone conversations with seller, photos, video, again passed the interview.
He actually brought the car to me on his way to buy its replacement after I sent a deposit.
Several significant & obvious flaws he claimed to not know about, so price was re-negotiated. All the pre-purchase visuals carefully avoided the trouble spots
Subsequently also had to rebuild the trans, replace junk T-bars & rear springs, and fix other things that were outright lied about.
Dude was/is an absolute BS artist & liar (he's not an active Moparts member, BTW); but there's a lot of the car that's perfect, and I haven't seen another that I like better.
But it's apparent to me that society has changed.

Still, I know there are good & honest folks out there, just from dealing with some on this forum.