Originally Posted by BIGGERED
Originally Posted by stumpy
That won't cure your death wobble. It's caused by steering geometry being off due to the truck being lowered. Installing the correct brace won't hurt but won't get rid of the wobble. It seems installing a steering shock helps. Do an online search for death wobble fixs.

The only vehicle I experienced death wobble in was a Jeep ZJ, there was no way to drive out of it, only slowing down to an almost stop. I recall a ZJ passing me at 65 MPH going into death wobble and I witnessed the left and right tires alternately leaving the road surface completely. The first time that happened to me I needed to go home and change my drawers. It was an extremely violent unpleasant event. Ultimately traced to worn factory and then a cheap aftermarket track bar.Granted the ZJ was 4WD but had a complete front end rebuild including ball joints

I think the 1974 frame is significantly different from a later 70's frame but recall the late seventies frames cracking at the box/frame connection hence the creation of the steering box brace that came with a recall. This defect appeared to be exacerbated by running 7-8" wide wheel and tires on the front of a D100/D150 2 WD truck.

When I was planning a Lil Red and a Warlock restoration my plan was to fully box the front left frame rail at a minimum but I am no mechanical genius.

I know you have posted a lot regarding this truck, is the front end and suspension all new high quality parts? Do you see any cracking in the frame rail?

Good luck!

Red

The front suspension is all fresh MOOG to include the inner tie rods and drag link. Fresh Red Head steering box, fresh shocks. I am running 15x7 slots in the front with 255/60/15. When we had the old box off we checked for cracking. The alignment is dead on. We also did the axle flip replacing the Dana with 8.75. I like your idea of boxing the frame.

Last edited by dart4forte; 02/04/20 05:44 PM.

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln