the last set of '906's I had done was $800. this was bronze guides, ferrea stock size stainless valves, unleaded exhaust seats and had some bad intake seats, mill work, cleaning , etc. $200 of the $800 was there "bracket/pocket port" work. could've done it myself and saved the $200 and not necessary for something to drive. there's pro's and con's to the alum head thing and I wouldn't consider that direction for a stock or near stock build. once you start down that path then the money will start stacking up because it leads to other "wants/needs". i'd keep it simple and enjoy the ride.

at 93,000 miles your going to find a whole lotta places to put money. i'll bet there's enough taper in the cylinders to measure with a yard stick. heads will be wore out but as long as there's no cracks fixable. bet the babbit is gone off the rod bearings they're eating the crank up. can't imagine what that silent timing chain looks like. one real issue is stock main bearings can't be bought anymore. all I could find was the full groove truck mains. i'm not opposed to full groove but they are noticeably looser than stock. they didn't seem to have an adverse effect on the 383 I did, but i'd preferred stock half grooves and a little tighter clearance. the only thing hard about picking a camshaft is the many choices. anything with .480" lift or greater on iron needs to be looked at for retainer to seal clearance; especially with aftermarket retainers.

Last edited by lewtot184; 01/11/20 07:06 PM.