Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by Stanton
Here's a thought ... install a bronze bushing in there (just that one location - not the whole cluster) and run thinner lube in the trans.

No way in the world would I even think of putting needle bearings in the cluster gear against a bronze bushing, no way tsk
I don't know what exactly the heat treat is on those gears and the other gears in the NP833 but I'll bet they are really hard, same thing on the needles bearings and roller bearings work
I would look into seeing if there is a material good enough to make a repair insert( that would have to be press in with the proper interference fit to keep it from spinning when hot) in it though scope twocents
OP, your pursuing the best bet,, a new NOS gear up
What does the cluster gear shaft look like on that end?

The gear shaft does not too bad. Just some wear. I ordered a new shaft anyway. The tranny has a new 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear in it already from my last rebuilt 15 years ago. They look excellent. He said the popping/sliding out of 1st is probably something else. I also have a new 1-2 hub assembly. It's going to be put back together with the new shaft and 1-2 hub assembly and wait until I find a cluster gear.

Last edited by 70sixpkRT; 01/09/20 03:23 PM.

[img]http://www.imgur.com/hxlGUJt.gif[/img]
4-speed
3:54 Dana
13.01 @107.93 with street tires (not hooking up)