Moparts

Cluster Gear

Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Cluster Gear - 01/08/20 04:52 PM

My buddy is rebuilding my 18 spline transmission and found this inside the 1st gear cluster gear. Inside the bore it's starting to flakey/scale. What would cause this?

Attached picture cluster gear.jpg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/08/20 06:15 PM

"Metal spalling is a process of metallic surface failure in which the metal is broken down into small flakes (spalls) from a larger solid body. This process occurs for many reasons, such as when another material impacts it at a high speed resulting in chipping the material, or due to corrosion, weathering, cavitation or excessive rolling pressure."

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/08/20 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
"Metal spalling is a process of metallic surface failure in which the metal is broken down into small flakes (spalls) from a larger solid body. This process occurs for many reasons, such as when another material impacts it at a high speed resulting in chipping the material, or due to corrosion, weathering, cavitation or excessive rolling pressure."

Can you please put that in layman's language? Are you saying normal wear and tear since I used to race and bang the gears?
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/08/20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 70sixpkRT
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel

Can you please put that in layman's language? Are you saying normal wear and tear since I used to race and bang the gears?

It's broke
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/08/20 07:56 PM

It's worn out shruggy
Not unusual if it was ran low on lube or had sit a long time twocents
I've seen that on the tip of a output shaft, I ended up having a old time aircraft machinest weld it up with stelite rod and turn it back down to size and ran it shruggy
Not sure if that is the solution for that gear or not, probably not work
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/08/20 10:16 PM

A flake of metal debris in those rollers would have made quick work of that.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/09/20 02:23 AM

I think if it was mine I would call Brewers and ask if anyone has a sleave to repair that.

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/09/20 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
I think if it was mine I would call Brewers and ask if anyone has a sleave to repair that.

Already did. No. Brewers and Passon Perf doesn't have any. I'm looking for a new one and nobody has any.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/09/20 05:56 AM

Already did. No. Brewers and Passon Perf doesn't have any. I'm looking for a new one and nobody has any.

Try Brian at SK speed in Lindenhurst, NY. You might be very surprised. smile
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/09/20 12:43 PM

How did the roller bearings look at that position. I bet you could pick them out of the pile that fell out of the cluster gear. That’s the low gear end of the shaft. Must have been lots of pressure applied there.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/09/20 12:55 PM

You may have to go to a precision machine shop in your area to look at it. I wonder if you could take a cut out in the bearing to remove the damage and go with slightly larger rolling elements. I'd worry about a sleeve on the inside as it may weaken the tube some. Though looking at the pictures, there is a lot of meat there. So a sleeve properly installed could work. But I think that repair is beyond most automotive restoration and machine shops. I think you are into high end industrial repair shops. Hopefully the cost doesn't outweigh the replacement.

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/09/20 02:21 PM

Here's a thought ... install a bronze bushing in there (just that one location - not the whole cluster) and run thinner lube in the trans.

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/09/20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chargerfan68

Will call. Thanks. No dice on SK speed. Brian is a lot of knowledge. He said to put it back together until I find one. There were no problems except for a little popping out of first gear. That's not related to the cluster gear.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/09/20 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chargerfan68

Will call. Thanks. No dice on SK speed. Brian is a lot of knowledge. He said to put it back together until I find one. There were no problems except for a little popping out of first gear. That's not related to the cluster gear.

Well, it was worth a shot. I got a bunch of Nos 833 stuff from him over the years and his collection was staggering. The popping out of gear is most likely angle worn dog teeth on the gear, as he probably told you. Did you ask if he had an nos 1 st gear?

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/09/20 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stanton
Here's a thought ... install a bronze bushing in there (just that one location - not the whole cluster) and run thinner lube in the trans.

No way in the world would I even think of putting needle bearings in the cluster gear against a bronze bushing, no way tsk
I don't know what exactly the heat treat is on those gears and the other gears in the NP833 but I'll bet they are really hard, same thing on the needles bearings and roller bearings work
I would look into seeing if there is a material good enough to make a repair insert( that would have to be press in with the proper interference fit to keep it from spinning when hot) in it though scope twocents
OP, your pursuing the best bet,, a new NOS gear up
What does the cluster gear shaft look like on that end?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/09/20 06:28 PM

I think a bronze bushing is the most practical solution, not needle bearings on the bronze bushing but a bushing directly on the shaft. The gears are case hardened so boring the gear would involve grinding rather than boring with a tool bit.

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/09/20 06:44 PM

No way in the world would I even think of putting needle bearings in the cluster gear against a bronze bushing, no way

WHERE did I say anything about needle bearings ?!?!? Install a bronze bushing in that one location INSTEAD OF needle bearings - it saves the cluster at least !!

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/09/20 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by Stanton

No way in the world would I even think of putting needle bearings in the cluster gear against a bronze bushing, no way tsk
I don't know what exactly the heat treat is on those gears and the other gears in the NP833 but I'll bet they are really hard, same thing on the needles bearings and roller bearings work
I would look into seeing if there is a material good enough to make a repair insert( that would have to be press in with the proper interference fit to keep it from spinning when hot) in it though scope twocents
OP, your pursuing the best bet,, a new NOS gear up
What does the cluster gear shaft look like on that end?

The gear shaft does not too bad. Just some wear. I ordered a new shaft anyway. The tranny has a new 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear in it already from my last rebuilt 15 years ago. They look excellent. He said the popping/sliding out of 1st is probably something else. I also have a new 1-2 hub assembly. It's going to be put back together with the new shaft and 1-2 hub assembly and wait until I find a cluster gear.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/10/20 07:00 PM

So here is the bigger picture... The world is out of 18 spline clusters?
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/10/20 08:27 PM

Is Liberty Gear still in business? They maybe able to fix the cluster. Just a thought. http://libertysgears.com/
Posted By: Dan Brewer

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/10/20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by scatpacktom

I will have more in stock at some point. Samples are approved, but it's a slow process.

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/10/20 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Brewer

I will have more in stock at some point. Samples are approved, but it's a slow process.

Are you making them? What is your timeline?
Posted By: Dan Brewer

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/11/20 02:57 PM

Yes. No ETA right now.

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/11/20 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Brewer
Yes. No ETA right now.

Cool. up

Let's put it this way, I called 18 Mopar parts suppliers and they didn't have any. I also talked to a heavy hitter Super Stock racer and he had 10 NOS but were all spoken for. whiney
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/12/20 10:18 PM

looks like a trans I disassembled with ATF in it whistling Just not enough lube for that position in the transmission IMHO there is a lot of load on that part of the cluster.

Gus beer
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/12/20 10:26 PM

Hmm... Mother Mopar did recommend ATF in colder climates for the 833.
Maybe not on a heavily loaded 18-spline trans though? popcorn

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/12/20 11:33 PM

I've always ran straight ATF in all of my 833, street or drag racing only shruggy

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/13/20 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I've always ran straight ATF in all of my 833, street or drag racing only shruggy

I've been using Passon Perf trans fluid for the last 7 years. It's his special concoction. It's red and like ATF fluid. I switched to Sta-lube GL4 Gear lube about 6months ago.

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/13/20 10:48 PM

Looks like I found an NOS cluster gear with its original cosmoline grease in its original cylinder that was sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Got lucky on finding it and the price. smile

Attached picture clustergear3.jpg
Attached picture clustergear4.jpg
Attached picture clustergear5.jpg
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Cluster Gear - 01/14/20 01:13 AM

Wow!!!!
Nice find!!!

Just my $0.02... wink
© 2024 Moparts Forums