I had two of the original blocks for those 67 SS cars and did not know it until I traded one of them off. One of them I bought as a complete engine. The engine was purchased by a son of a Chrysler-Plymouth dealer in Coleman,Texas. He took a brand new 67 GTX off the showroom floor and ran in on the street for a total of 1200 miles. He then pulled the 440 and bought a complete 67 SS hemi. I’m not sure if he bought the motor over the counter or from another racer but it was a complete motor. There where not many race Hemi parts floating around in early 67. I saw the car at the dragstrip in Abilene in the early 70’s. He ran it in SS. I bought the car in the 86, installed a 440 and sold it. It had a rat roaster with a single four that the last guy had been racing. He gave me the original Vanke modified intake, but had sold the carbs off to a guy in San Angelo, Texas. It had the original dated heads as well. The block was stamped differently than most of my hemi motors I had at the time. I had another block stamped just like it so I did not think anything about it. I’m not quite certain where I got the other block. I traded it off long ago. If my memory serves me correctly, it was stamped HC 426 MP. Most hemi blocks were stamped CH 426. I was reading an article in a magazine on day about hemi stampings written by Rick Ehrenburg. He listed all the stamping on the pads. He claimed that a 67 SS hemi was stamped with the MP ( maximum performance) just like a max wedge.
Now, do I know for sure it came out of one of the 110 SS cars from 67? No. It could be an over the counter complete engine. The dealers son had plenty of money and hung around with all the big name racers from this area. Phil Nichols, Shay Nichols, Shelby Jester, Gene Snow and a few others I can’t recall at the moment. We had a good strip at the time called Steamboat Mountain Drag Strip.
I’ll tell you who I sold this second block to, though. Joel Nystrum, or HemiJoel on this board. He has a 67 SS car. I seam to remember him telling me after I sold the block to him that he had verified this through his addition research. I think he said most all of the blocks were cast on one day. I’m thinking it was 10/31/66. I thought it odd because I had two blocks cast on Halloween!
I have not though of this in a long time. You might give HemiJoel a shout. He still hangs out here.
I still have that same Vanke intake.

Last edited by fastmark; 01/04/20 10:19 AM.