Quote:

Another good thing about the early 80s trans is the low gear ratio 1st and 2nd gear sets they have.

When I build a 4 clutch drum into a 5 clutch unit I just change the snap ring thickness. Usually combining 2 thin flat snaprings and useing the thick waffle clutches you can get 5 in there. I don't like the flat ones because the fuid takes longer to get out from between them, the clutches will hydro plane over each other for a second. If my pack is still tight I might slide one flat clutch in there just to get the clearance.

Another good mod is to remove the wavy snap rings and install flat rings, this reduces slipage during engagement.

If you use the trans go kit don't be afraid to drill the shift holes to the max size, it still is not a hard shift.

One more thing I like to do is run type F fluid for an even faster shift.

Mine didn't have the wavy rings, just flat rings. I just received my new bands. So, I'm just about ready to start cleaning and putting back together. Should I be looking at rebuilding or replacing the pump? Tranny came from the car in a junk yard, so don't know if anything was wrong with it.

Dave